How Writing For Odyssey Has Changed Me As A Writer

Thank you, Odyssey.

4
Nina Harrington

Back in June I had seen a classmate of mine post writing for this website called Odyssey right after I had just recently changed my major to Mass Communications with a concentration in Magazine Journalism. At first, I was a little hesitant to apply because I had no idea what I would write about and whether or not people would care about what I had to say. After a couple of days, the idea of applying to be a content creator for Odyssey kept gnawing at my brain. Soon after, I finally decided to apply and hope for the best. Shortly after that little leap of faith, I was accepted to join what has been one of the best decisions I have ever made. I knew that this would be the perfect opportunity to get my feet wet in what would be my career for the rest of my life. It was after spring semester so I had a few months before I would actually be taking classes in my new major so I realized that this was the perfect timing to completely devote my time to getting the hang of publishing articles.

Seven months later, I feel like I have accomplished a lot as a writer. I feel secure in knowing that this is what I want to be doing for the rest of my life. Whether its writing articles about the gender wage gap, giving fitness advice, or even giving dating suggestions, I feel like I am making my voice heard whether it's to a hundred people or a hundred thousand people. Yes, there are times where I have major writer’s block but when I finally figure out what to write about, I feel like those articles are some of my best.

Odyssey has given me such a great opportunity to learn what to do and not do as a writer. Every article isn’t always going to be a hit and I have definitely come to terms with that. Writing for the Odyssey has allowed me to be able to take in constructive and not so constructive criticisms. All of these teachings have come from not just writing but from the decision to put my opinions out there for people to see in the first place.

Being a writer has its many ups and downs yet being able to influence people through my writing makes it all worth it. I hope that all of those aspiring writers out there will continue to write about their passions even though there might be a few bumps down the road in doing so. I strongly urge anyone who has a passion about writing or even a passion that they want to share with the world through writing, to apply for the Odyssey and make their voice heard.

Click here if you want to join the people influencing movement that is Odyssey!