How To Vote When In College

How To Vote When In College

I promise, it's not as difficult as you think

51
How To Vote When In College
www.ylakeland.com

In the 2014 midterm election, only 19.9% of eligible voters in the 18-29 year old age bracket actually voted in the midterm election, the lowest turnout rate to date. There are a slew of challenges that college students face when it comes to voting, but the main issue is a lack of understanding. What’s an absentee ballot? Does my state practice a primary or a caucus? How can I vote if I’m living away from home? Hopefully by the end of this article, you will have the answers to these questions and will be ready to cast your vote in the primaries and general election this year and for years to come.

1. Go to Rock the Vote

Rock the Vote is a fantastic tool that helps prepare anyone to vote. Here, you will be prompted to type in basic information, such as your name, email address, home address, and mailing address (use your college address for this). It’s a very simple process and Rock the Vote will not use your information for anything other than helping you register.

http://www.rockthevote.com/register-to-vote/

2. Follow Rock the Vote to Your State's Voter Registration Page

Rock the Vote will then provide a link to your state’s registration website. From there, you may be able to fill out another online form to complete registration, or you may need to download a document and mail it back. Here are the Pennsylvania and New York registration websites.

https://www.pavoterservices.state.pa.us/Pages/Vote...

http://www.elections.ny.gov/NYSBOE/download/voting...

3. Figure Out Which Political Party to Register With

Some states have tricky rules when it comes to the primary election. If you reside in a closed caucus/primary state, then you may only vote for a member of the party you are registered in. If you live in an open caucus/primary state, then you may vote for whichever candidate you choose. Some states are semi-closed, which means that independent/third party voters may choose which party’s primary they would like to participate in. For more information on your state’s specific practice, check the link below.

http://www.ncsl.org/research/elections-and-campaig...

4. Request an Absentee Ballot, if Necessary

Some people, such as myself, go to school too far from home to be able to vote onsite come Election Day. But don’t worry, your voice can still be heard. An absentee ballot is a method of voting for individuals who cannot be present at the polls. To obtain one, the process is going to be different in every state but will usually involve an additional mail-in form. The forms for New York and Pennsylvania can be found at the links below. Remember that you must be registered to vote before an absentee ballot can be sent.

http://www.dosimages.pa.gov/pdf/AbsenteeBallotAppl...

5. VOTE VOTE VOTE!

You did it. You’re registered, received your absentee ballot, and are ready to go. If you are using an absentee ballot, it must be postmarked by the day before the election at the latest. If not, head to your designated poll location before they close (the specific times will come with your registration).

6. Optional: Spread the Word

With less than 20 percent of eligible voters between 18-29 participating in 2014, it is apparent that something needs to change. Convince your friends and family to follow these same steps and vote with you. Utilize social media and convince others to join in and vote. Together we can make a difference.

While in college, the task of voting can seem daunting. Official government paperwork needs to be filled out, you may be residing in a different state than your hometown, and with so many candidates with such varying positions this year, it can be hard to keep everything straight. Hopefully, after reading this article, you feel more confident in your ability to vote and will take the time to register, read up on the candidates, and let your voice be heard in the primary/caucus, the general election, and every election to come. And don’t forget, even though the presidential elections are more interesting, with flashy debates and scandalous press coverage, elections happen every year. For democracy to truly be effective, every individual needs to practice their fundamental right to vote every year, not every four years.