It's not about the goal, it's about the details.
Health Wellness

10 Tips for Staying on Track with Your Goals

*Drake voice* Thank me later.

181
https://www.pexels.com

If you're anything like me, when 2018 came to a close, you breathed a sigh of relief and closed that chapter of your life so quickly that you gave yourself change-induced whiplash. Now that we are two months into 2019 and you're asking yourself "Has anything changed at all?" and scrambling to try to find some way to assess the difference between then and now and if you're living up to your "New year, New me" expectations.

While I cannot say that I am not living up to my expectations, I also can't say that I am. So I wanted to share a few questions/processes that can help you assess your progress and make sure that you are tempering your expectations without going too easy on yourself.

Reminder: What A R E your goals?

This is the most important thing for you to remember

media.giphy.com

Before we get into the nitty-gritty details, I want to start at the beginning: having an idea of the big picture. Note the word choice of having an idea vs knowing. The truth is, you don't have to have it all figured out before starting to head towards your goals, you just have to have a general idea in order to take the first step. Let's be real, given any goal, the first steps usually like increased effort, increased focus, and increased dedication. More often than not, we use the fact that we don't know all of the answers yet as an excuse to not have to put in the work.

Even if you didn't create a set list of resolutions, it is likely that you had some big picture that you wanted to see yourself in the frame of by the end of 2019. If you want to lose weight, you know that you are going to have to change your eating and exercise habits. Even if you don't have a weight goal in mind, that is a great place to start. If you want a new job, but don't know what you want to do, looking at applications for any and everything won't hurt you. In the end, momentum, even without direction, is still momentum towards your goal and sustained momentum is the thing that will get you to the finish line-- wherever that may be.

Have you made an effort to change your environment?

Unless you're already as successful as Drake, This Motto won't help you.

media.giphy.com

Environment is one of the most important factors in someone's ability to change themselves. While it is easy to reduce all of the pressure to having or not having motivation and willpower, I would argue that is an oversimplification of the process. In reality, even someone with an abundance of motivation may get distracted or demotivated over the course of a few weeks. Environment works as a buffer to that process, whether it be new people who have the same goals or better work ethic, or going to a literal new environment to put yourself in the mindset for what you want to do-- I swear my productivity in the library is impacted by which floor I'm on. At the end of the day, You don't plant a rose in the desert and expect it to grow, even with the perfect amount of care, so why would you do the same to yourself?

Have you delivered on any goal(s) for yourself already?

Goals are like booties: Even the little ones matter.

media.giphy.com

Even if your goal is something as simple as drinking one more glass of water a day. Do that s***. And when you do, feel just as great as if you've completed a marathon. Well. Maybe not as great, but you catch my drift. Every step you complete, even the small ones, is one step closer to being a better you. They all count.

Have you gotten outside of your comfort zone at all?

Don't you just hate how inspirational quotes are always so... right?

media.giphy.com

If you feel comfortable, you're probably not making any progress. Whether your discomfort is because you're tired or stretched thin or suffering from option paralysis, that discomfort needs to be there. I imagine that butterflies feel really uncomfortable when they're literally liquid inside of their cocoons; however, there's no way for them to become butterflies otherwise. The process of enacting change is much like being in a cocoon, with being a butterfly being you at your end goal. If you don't allow yourself to liquidate, you'll never get out.

What does progress actually look like?

...Or is it?

media.giphy.com

Sometimes we have a tendency to be blind to progress because it doesn't look like our end goal. 2 consecutive weeks of sticking to your work out schedule is just as worthy of celebration as losing 10 lbs. The journey matters just as much as the destination. Don't forget to enjoy the scenery and acknowledge when you're doing amazing sweetie.

Have you set your priorities?

Please don't be like Bella.

media.giphy.com

If you're in your 20s, I'm sure you've reached a point where you're tired of hearing about priorities. Well. I hate to be the barer of bad news, but they never go away. Their importance will govern the way you spend your time, which, just like any investment, will determine your returns-- or lack thereof. If you get to a point when you realize that you feel overwhelmed or that you are stagnating in certain areas, look at what you're giving your time to. If you are prioritizing scrolling through Instagram when you could be finishing some work or learning something that will help you; acknowledge it and adjust. Your ability to do so may determine the trajectory of your progress.

How focused are you?

Today or every day?

media.giphy.com

In the world we live in, distractions are everywhere. It is your job to determine what is and isn't a distraction and just how much you are going to allow yourself to be distracted by anything. For example, if you have a significant other, there is a fine line between allowing them to distract you from your goals and allowing them to augment your life through emotional and mental support and gratification. While the things that give you joy are important for you to engage with, your life cannot become Brave New World. Finding the balance of the amount of time you give distractions is an integral part of reaching your goal, as the journey is important, but if you allow the roses along the road to make you stop too long, you'll never get where you're going.

Do you have a system of accountability?

I know it sounds dumb, but accountabilitbuddies low-key work.

media.giphy.com

The best way to keep yourself in check is to ensure that you have a physical person to do the job for you. Consider it outsourcing or giving yourself a goal supervisor. Whether it is a mentor or someone who shares the same goal with you, it must be someone you respect and isn't afraid to light a fire under your a** when you need it. Not only do they hold you accountable, but they also serve as your support system, which will also help to maintain your motivation and keep you going when things get hard. Because they will. And being in the lion's den with someone else will give you some amount solace.

What is your motivation?

Be more like him.

media.giphy.com

The root of your reason for change will determine how well you are able to sustain your growth. If your reasoning isn't solid, you run the risk of rabbiting; or getting too excited in the beginning and burning out-- which is usually what happens for most goals. For example, wanting to have a healthier lifestyle and live longer will be more conducive to sustained efforts at being healthy than wanting to be skinnier for pictures. That is not to say that wanting to be skinnier won't help you, but when you're sitting at a restaurant and see a really scrumptious-sounding burger on the menu, your wish to be skinnier will likely be the last thing on your mind.

Are you tired yet?

If you don't feel like this, are you really working hard enough?

media.giphy.com

If you're not, are you working hard enough? Are you giving your all? Are you ok with half-a**ing things? Because if you are, imagine where you could be if you were actually dedicated to taking pride in what you do/are doing. Imagine how much closer to your goal you could be. As Logic said, "I sacrificed my twenties now that money ain't a thing now". For him, the goal was money. Whatever your goal is, think about all you will have to sacrifice to really optimize your progress. I guarantee sleep will be the lesser of them.

While it isn't foolproof, keeping these 10 things in mind will help you to be honest with yourself and stay on track towards whatever you are trying to accomplish. When things seem to not be going as planned, keeping these things in mind will also help you to be accurate and effective at figuring out what the problem may be and fixing it. Becoming who you want to be will be the hardest thing you do in your life, but it is the lifelong process which will determine whether you end up happy. Might as well go all in now. Remember, "you are the master of your fate and the captain of your soul."