10 Truths That Every Light Sleeper Knows All Too Well
Health Wellness

10 Truths Every Light Sleeper Knows All Too Well

Believe me, I need my beauty sleep more than anyone else.

371
girl sleeping

I was always the friend who was the last to fall asleep at sleepovers.

Thankfully, this meant I was never pranked, but it also meant I could sometimes be grouchy in the morning because I'd had way less sleep than everyone else.

Why?

I've finally attributed my morning grouchiness and inability to fall asleep to the fact that I am simply a light sleeper.

I admit this thought came to me late at night while I was lying in bed trying to fall asleep...

1. Dark circles shouldn't be a thing. 

Source

Being a light sleeper means you definitely don't always get a full night's rest. These dark circles under your eyes are proof that the struggle is real.

2. Every. Single. Noise. Wakes you up. 

Disney

There are reasons why you can't sleep: a neighbor's lawnmower, a dog barking, the fan's whirring, or faint music from another room. I will never take silence for granted.

3. Alarms are your best friend. 

Source

Are you setting multiple alarms in case you don't hear one/can't wake up? Light sleepers have no need to do that! I jump every morning as my phone plays a Taylor Swift song at 7 a.m.

4. You've never fallen asleep during a movie. 

Source

It's true, I can only think of two instances when I've drifted off during a late night movie. I just get so engrossed in what I'm watching and the setting is all wrong for sleeping anyways.

5. You are a night owl. 

Source

Forget mornings. I'm most productive and alert at night! It's better for me to wait until everything settles down at nighttime so it'll be easier for me to fall asleep.

6. Overthinking will be the death of you. 

Source

While waiting to fall asleep at night, I can't help but wonder why we still say "hang up" the phone, when Taylor Swift will get married, and how much it would cost to invent my own flavor of ice cream.

7. Naps are your best friend. 

Source

Naps are crucial, because you make up for some of the sleep you lost out on during the previous night!

8. You can't get comfortable while lying in bed. 

Source

"Maybe if I sleep on this side I'll fall asleep. Hmm, no, must be this side. Well, I guess I'll just turn back to where I started."

9. It doesn't take much to wake you up. 

I have to physically shake my best friends Kylee and EJ if I want them to wake up. On the other hand, if someone were to say, "Wake up Bryanne" or tap my shoulder, I'd jump up in a heartbeat.

10. Lights seriously suck. 

TV Land

It's a miracle if I can fall asleep while the lights are on. I could never live in Alaska when it's sunny nearly 24/7.

I'm sure if I was super exhausted, none of these trivial things would matter and I'd be able to fall asleep just fine, but until then, I know the pains of being a light sleeper.

And now, I'm off to bed!