How To Resolve Conflicts In Any Relationship
relationships

Be the peacemaker when it isn't all butterflies and rainbows with your inner circle.

113

Things don't always go perfectly with the people you're closest to. You can have a myriad of personalities clashing in the squad, or your family always has to deal with that ONE melodramatic sibling. Whatever the case is: there will be conflict. It's super important to know how to deal with it. It is a vital skill to have as a teammate, partner, best friend, sibling, or in just about any relationship.

First, be proactive about it. Don't let small arguments fester into bigger ones. There is nothing worse than hidden resentment that comes out of nowhere. As soon as you sniff out signs that something is amiss call it out! If one of your friends begin to talk negatively about another one of your friends, go talk to them first. Get to the root of the problem ASAP rocky. It's harder said than done because it takes a lot of courage. But if you do, the whole group will be better off for it and you'll get conflict resolution creds.

Next, make sure they know you understand. Have you ever thought it was really cool of someone to ignore your point of view and throw all the blame on you? Yeah, me either. So try and see where your BFFL is coming from even though it's totally her fault that she spilled your secret. They can be totally 100% wrong, but if you want them to be open to fixing the issue, it's ill-advised to tell them straight up that it's all their fault. By you just listening to them, they will instantly feel less defensive or uptight. Everyone feels better when they're understood.

After addressing, listening, you can finally begin to remedy the problem. When you get to the hardest part of asking the person who created the conflict to take action, try and frame it as a favor to you. "Hey, I know this might be hard but I think it would help everyone out if you apologized. We all want this awkwardness gone." Use a tone that makes it sound like it's in the best interest of everyone.

If it's between you and someone else, take the high road and be the first one to apologize. This might damage your pride some, but your partner will respect you so much especially if they know it was their apology to make first. If one of your siblings need to give up stolen clothes to another sibling, go with them to do it. Try to be the best supporting role.

No one likes arguing. Everybody wants sunshine and rainbows, but not everyone wants to get in there and make it happen. Be the one in the squad to take initiative. If peace isn't satisfaction enough, you get to boast later about how you were the mature one!