How to Handle Online Classes Without Losing Your Sanity

The transition was tough, but we are tougher

19
Victoria Heath (@vheath) on Unsplash.com

@gddessdivine on Twitter

I know that all students, college or otherwise, are feeling like this right now. This post is mostly targeted towards college students that were forced to make the transition to online classes with little notice and hardly any preparations, however, some of these tips can be adapted to high schoolers.

Figure out which classes require you to video conference 

Some professors may require that you join a group video chat to replace your regular class time. It is important to figure out which classes a video chat and when, so that you are able to set aside the appropriate amount of time for that class.

Reread your syllabi

When abruptly transitioning from in person classes to online only, your days can easily blur together and cause you to fall behind in your classes. One way to avoid this is to go back through your syllabi and write down all of your assignments and due dates. Your professor might alter the syllabus to account for the transition, but it is not guaranteed.

Create a schedule

Now that you know if you have to video chat or not, and when your assignments are due, you must now create a schedule. I recommend that you act as though you still have to go to class. If you previously had a class at 10am Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, then at 10am, you need to sit down and work on the assignments for that class. You already have a schedule and a routine, and the best thing for you to do is stick with it and not vary.

Work on it every day

As I said previously, act as though you are still on campus and physically going to classes. If you aren't in class, then you are studying. Many professors will publish your assignments and readings ahead of time. For those that are able to access them early, it is a good idea to start them early. This will not only give you a head start, but it will also allow you to formulate any questions that you may have.

Find a study space

Whether in person or online, all students need a place that they can go to study. For some its a coffee shop or the library. For others they sit at their desk or in their bed. No matter where you decide to study, it's important that where you choose will allow you to focus. Unfortunately, your bed might not be the most ideal place.

Most importantly... be patient with your professors

This is stressful for them as well. They are expected to convert their lectures into readings and powerpoint, and change any paper assignments to make them digital. If your class has a group project, your professor also have to change the project to make it fit.