How To: Handle Group Projects

How To: Handle Group Projects

This applies to literally anyone with any form of a group project. It can be your 5th grade group poster board, your high school group science project; your group college final project that counts for half of your grade or a project you have to work on in a group at your full time job. Whatever the case may be, here's how to not be a jerk and do your part in a group project.

25
How To: Handle Group Projects

If you've had terrible group project experiences where no one answers your numerous messages or have been left to do all of the work yourself, I feel you. If you don't relate and you're the person that gets away with doing nothing, I hate you. Here's how to have common decency when it comes to group projects.

1. Don't Wait Until The Last Minute To Start

season 8 squidward's school for grown ups GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants Giphy

My most important piece of advice when it comes to group projects is to start as early as possible. Whenever I'm in a group project, I usually send out a group email to get everyone's numbers so we can start working together ASAP. This way, with more time, we will be more likely to find a time that works for everyone to get things done.

There have only been a select few times people have messaged before I got a change to, and it's left me very impressed when that happens. Be that person!

2. Don't Leave the Work For Everyone Else

Tired Cat GIF Giphy

Don't be the lazy couch potato that leaves the work to everyone else. Trust me, if you're that person, your entire group hates you!

If you start a project early, if you get overwhelmed by other things or an emergency comes up, you'll hopefully already have the bulk of the work done. This will make everyone's life easier!

3. Don't Be The Person That Can't Work in a Team

There's a fine line between taking charge and being a great group leader and being a flat out jerk. Don't be the person that can't work in a team and can't let anyone else do anything. Delegate, don't micromanage!

4. Communicate Ahead of Time

There is nothing worse than witnessing a group try to present a project when they clearly haven't communicated before hand. Make sure you've established who is presenting what slide, who is sharing their screen or logging into the powerpoint / presentation materials and who is submitting the presentation materials beforehand. This way everything goes seamlessly.

5. Work as a Team

A group project should be exactly that, a group project. Everyone should work together and try to delegate the work as equally as possible. Maybe if one group member is only presenting one slide and everyone else has two, then they can be the person to ask the class questions at the end or submit the presentation materials to the teacher.

Whatever way it's done, everyone should make sure that they are all pretty much equally participating.

Trust me, this will make everyone's lives less difficult!