7 Major Struggles Of A Communication Student

We get the struggle, we really do.

398

Let's face it -- we all know that people peg the communication major as the "easy major." Yes, we may not be balancing chemical equations, calculating derivatives, or doing scientific research, but we do have a ton of stressful responsibilities that people seem to overlook. Long story short, we understand the struggle too. Here are some examples:

1. The fact that we have to public speak in almost every major required class.

I don't care what anyone says about public speaking: it's super nerve-wracking. We could speak in front of a class 100 times or once, and we'd still be just as nervous. A million things go through our heads during a presentation, "Make more eye contact." "Don't forget to take a breath." "Slow down, you're talking too fast." "Don't forget to say that really important thing that you practiced 50 times before." Then that minute is over and you have at least four more to go.

2. We always have papers to write. ALWAYS.

Even if we don't have a paper assigned at the moment, we have a paper to write. Communication is all about writing skills, and professors are constantly assigning paper after paper to keep us on our toes. Even if we aren't writing for a class, plenty of communication majors write for their portfolios or other outlets for practice and experience. Writing is any communication major's peanut butter and jelly, and we're always doing it.

3. The constant group projects.

Everyone, and I mean every single major, hates group projects. Unfortunately for communication majors, we do them regularly. In our field, we have to work with all kinds of different people to come to a common goal. It's only logical that we participate in group projects now so we know how to handle all types of people in our futures. However, we have learned that group projects never will get easier. There will always be someone who does all the work, and someone who slacks off. We may get lucky once in awhile with a good group, but for the most part we're stuck with the terror that is the group project.

4. Always being subjective.

As future journalists, writers, public relations professionals, etc., we all have to leave our opinions out of what we report or what company we may eventually work for. Even if we may not agree with an article we have to write or the purpose for an event we may have to plan, we ultimately have to do what we're told. Remaining subjective can be really difficult if we're passionate about something, so it takes a ton on practice and the right person to have this job.

5. Over-analyzing every single thing we write.

Because grammar is literally the basis to being a communication major. We constantly read and reread everything we write. We edit, edit again, then edit a couple more times. Sometimes, we even hand over our papers to other communication majors to look over for us. Writing is something we take pride in, so we do our best to make it perfect... even though we do slip up once in awhile. We're humans like other majors.

6. When people look at us like we're psycho as we practice our presentations in public.

No, we are not talking to ourselves, we're obviously just practicing for our five minute presentation due tomorrow morning. Presentations are a regular assignment for communication majors, and it's a MUST to practice before we present. Even if it means sitting in the student center talking out loud, practicing our hand movements, and eye contact; we're going to do it. Sometimes, we'll even give ourselves a pep talk so we're that much more confident we'll nail it.

7. The constant reminder that we won't get jobs after graduation.

If I had a dollar for every time a professor, family member, or a non-communication major told me this, I wouldn't have the usual end of semester financial crisis. Yes, we understand the job market is competitive. Yes, we understand that most of the time, we won't even see an entry level position right out of school. BUT WE LOVE IT. If we didn't love what we do, we'd switch to something everyone else views as "practical."