How To Get Around Town If You Don't Have A License

Yes, I am indeed among that part of the population that don't have their license at the age of 18.

63

I know I know, it's pretty bad. To be fair, I passed my permit test on the first try with a solid 100%. I also did study an intense amount for it, but it felt pretty good to be one of the few of my friends who passed on the first try (subtle flex). However, when it comes to driving, I get the nerves like I am taking a chemistry test. In my family, everyone is a great driver. My brother started driving a stick shift when he was around ten and he was killing it. My mom would drive stick in the busy streets of Tehran and wasn't afraid of anybody. My dad knew his way behind a wheel, zooming around narrow streets and busy highways like it was no problem. When it came to me, I didn't have the driving gene. My brother stole it all just like he stole all the hight genes (he is 6'4" and I am 5'4").

I remember feeling so excited when I got my permit, but the desire to drive wasn't in me. I, of course, bragged about how I got a 100% on my test, but soon my friends took over the bragging the rights when one by one of them got their licenses. One of my friends even had to parallel park for their test (shoutout to you Savannah). My friend Lauren basically drives a tank for a car (Honda Pilots are no joke). My other friend even drove all the way to Tucson while still on her permit (pop off Zailey), but me? I just sat there and watched the expiration date of my permit approach.

To put it simply, driving scares the life out of me. I am not awful, but when I do mess up a little I have a full-on anxiety attack. I start crying and freaking out and literally freeze behind the wheel. I know it's a dumb fear that I need to get over but for now, I've developed quite a bit of skill in my ways of getting places.

Find a friend who likes driving.

This is a no-brainer, but hitching a ride from your friends is the best way to get places. It's both fun and efficient at the same time. Most of my friends actually enjoy driving, that's why they usually don't mind stopping by to pick me up on the way. It is actually quite nice to ride with your friends because to me, it gives our relationship a whole new bond. Very deep conversations happen in the car I can say that much.

However, you should return the favor. I usually treat my friends to coffee or pay for lunch. It matters to always give back to someone who is spending their gas on you.

Razor Scooters are superior. 

I am 18 years old and I still have a Razor Scooter from fifth grade. I love my scooter so much and it has helped get around to places that are close to my house. To be fair, I am still short enough to ride on it and haven't outgrown it yet. I have made frequent Chipotle runs on my scooter along with getting Starbucks. It is, however, very hard to carry Starbucks while riding a scooter.

To me, it feels like an exercise since I am using my leg constantly. It also feels really nice on a windy day to have it blowing in your hair. Except if you are going against the wind, then it feels like you are fighting a current.

Walking is also a thing.

This may not be the most efficient way, but it for sure is an option. I don't recommend this in the summer, especially summers in Arizona. However, walking has its perks. It gives you time to truly appreciate the scenery and be with your thoughts. It's also really refreshing to walk sometimes rather than sitting in a car and feeling robotic. I have walked the same distances that I've gone with my scooter, and walking makes me think a lot more.

Plus, it is the only way you can pet dogs as they pass you by.

Uber is cool too.

Now I personally haven't had to use this, but I feel like I might need to next year when I am away at college. Uber might be the choice for you if you are far away and directionally challenged, aka me. I think Uber is a good solution for many college students who don't have their car on campus with them. I plan on using Uber next year because well, a lot of my friends are going to be away at college and I'll be sad and without a ride.

The light rail is pretty speedy.

Public transportation scares me to death since I become a complete potato in situations I am not comfortable in. However, the light rail is super fun to ride around on. I've only done it a couple of times and it has proven to be effective when I am out of options for a ride or need to get downtown fast. I am most likely going to be using the light rail a lot more than Uber when I will be downtown next year since it is cheaper and convenient.

You might be an adult, but your parents have a pretty nice car.

In all of my years of going to school or somewhere super far, I always ask my dad to take me. No shame in that honestly it's a fun time. We talk during the ride, I have control over the radio, and it's a safer way if Uber drivers can be scary. My dad has taken me to and home from school since I started elementary school. My mom has also done her fair share of getting me to rehearsals, auditions, school, and school dances when my dad couldn't fill in.

Basically, your parents are your best bet for a ride if you are completely out of options.

That's it really. These six small ways are how I've gotten around for 18 years of my life. My parents are the dominant factor on this list and I really do appreciate how they always put aside the time to drive me places. Also, I do have to admit that I've got some pretty patient friends who don't get sick of me every time I ask for a ride (or maybe they do and don't show it.) I know that someday I have to get over it and just sit behind the wheel since I can only renew my permit twice (not that I already have done that or anything.) However, until then, I hope this article helps someone out there who is like me; the 18-year-old fully capable of having their license hitchhiker.