5 Ways To Get Around Tempe, AZ When You DON'T Have A Car
Travel

If you don't have a car, don't worry! There are plenty of other ways to get around.

576

If you are coming into ASU without a car, you are not alone. In fact, I have had multiple friends who did not bring a car to school with them. I personally did not have one and still don't to this day.

Phoenix metro is a sprawling stretch of city and suburbs spreading from Buckeye in the West to Apache Junction in the east, Anthem to the North, and Chandler to the South. This space rivals Los Angeles and its suburbs, and Maricopa County, where Phoenix lies, has a population of about 4 million.

For new students without a car, the size of Phoenix metro can be very intimidating, but don't worry! There are plenty of resources to get you from point A to point B!

Orbit

I personally have never used Orbit but I know it is a great way to get around Tempe as well as South Scottsdale (to the North of Tempe). Orbits are a FREE (yes, I said FREE) minibus service that connects students and Tempe residents to shopping centers, major bus routes, schools, and Tempe community centers. There are five separate lines that cover all of Tempe and parts of South Scottsdale. For more detailed information, go ahead and click the link below!

http://phoenix.a-zguides.com/places/tempe-orbit-shuttle_331.php

The Lightrail

The light rail is almost free ($2 one direction or $4 for the whole day) and can connect students to a larger part of the Phoenix Metro area. I like to think of it as a small street train that runs east to west. It runs from downtown Mesa (the city east of Tempe), thru downtown Phoenix, and into Northern Central Phoenix. It's a great way to connect ASU students to Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport, as well as events in Downtown Phoenix such as baseball games, museums, concerts, Basketball games, and the ASU Downtown campus. It runs from about 5 am to 11 pm and generally makes stops every 5-10 minutes. There are 3 stops in downtown Tempe: One on Mill Ave, one directly north of ASU's Tempe campus by "The Hub," and one on Apache Blvd by 922 Place and The District. Although it's a great way to get around, I would recommend riding with a friend for safety as you never know who will be riding with you. To learn more about the routes, check out the link below.

https://www.valleymetro.org/maps-schedules/rail

Uber/Lyft

Uber

Uber/ Lyft are what I use most often to get around. I use them to get to work, get to and from parties, and occasionally, take it to class when I'm feeling a little lazy or running late. There are rideshare drivers EVERYWHERE and they open up access to Scottsdale and other spots not accessible by public transportation. Costing anywhere between $5 if you're staying local, $15 if you're headed to West Phoenix, or $120 if you're making the trek down South to UofA, it's an inexpensive and safe way to explore the greater Tempe area. If you haven't already, download both the Uber and Lyft apps and you'll have instant access to places you didn't know existed.

Ofo

Flickr Creative Commons

Ofo's are yellow bikes littered across Tempe. They're inexpensive, about $1- $5 per ride, easily accessible, and a great way to get around ASU's campus. I do not typically use Ofos since I have my own bike, but they're extremely reliable and can be accessed by an app. They're equipped with a basket to hold your backpack/ water bottles, 3 gear settings, a bell, an adjustable seat, and a lock. Download the "Ofo" app to gain access to these modes of transportation.

https://www.ofo.com/us/en

Birds

Flickr Creative Commons

Finally, Birds are brand new to the Tempe area and are my personal favorite way to get around Tempe. They are electric scooters that can get up to 10 - 15 miles per hour. They are a lot of fun to ride and inexpensive (about $2-$10 depending on how far you go and how long you're riding them). They're a great way to get to work, a friend's house/ apartment, and class if you're not feeling the long walk in the heat. They are accessible thru the app "Bird." For more information on bird's check out this link: https://www.bird.co/

Of course, there are other ways to get around Tempe. I would recommend investing in a longboard or a reliable bike if you can not afford a car, and you can never go wrong with walking or asking friends for rides.

Tempe is a compact city that is not hard to get around if you know of local modes of transportation. If you are an incoming student, check out ASU's website to find different ways to get around.