6 Ways To Survive Your College Experience At UCF With No Car
Travel

Sometimes you gotta ride the struggle bus until you get to where you need to be.

120
Why Kei

Not having a car, especially in Florida where you need a car to get pretty much anywhere, is a textbook definition of a struggle. Trust me, I know this all too well. Having only just gotten my license two years ago (at the age of 22), I'm still trying to get the hang of driving, and being a college student without a car is tricky, but not impossible. Read on to learn some tips on how to get around your college days without a car!

1. Utilize Uber and Lyft.

If you need to get somewhere and don't have a car, Uber and Lyft can be super helpful. Depending on where you need to go, though, it can be super expensive. If your destination is 5-10 minutes away, you only need to worry about spending $5-8.

2. Carpool.

If you need to get to school or an event and you don't have any transportation, you can always ask your roommates or friends to carpool. If you're riding with each other, this reduces the number of cars on the road and therefore possibly having to pay more for gas. Plus, it's good for the environment!

3. Take the bus.

Dmitry Dreyer

Buses don't get enough appreciation, and neither do bus drivers. It's relatively inexpensive and if you need to get anywhere around Orlando, well, that's what it's there for! Be sure to arrive at least 30 minutes in advance to prepare for any delays. Also, trips might be longer depending on which route you take but carry a book or some puzzles for the ride! And remember to thank your bus driver before you get off; they probably don't hear it enough.

4. Rent a ZipCar.

ZipCar is an affordable and unique way to get around campus and your city. All you need is your driver's license and to be 18+, and you're good to rent a ZipCar to take care of errands or just hit the town! You can rent on an hourly or day-to-day basis, so if you need to go back home for the weekend, it's an option! You will save tons of money you would have to spend on gas, insurance, maintenance and other downsides that come with having a car.

5. Use the shuttle system.

Manki Kim

The UCF shuttle system is convenient for drivers and nondrivers alike. Whether it's to save gas money or you just don't have a car, the shuttles have you covered. I advise leaving your apartment or house an hour earlier because while they are convenient, they can be pretty unreliable in terms of timeliness.

6. Walking.

My apartment complex is conveniently located next to a shopping plaza with a Publix, so during the day, if I need to do some grocery shopping, I can take the 10-minute walk and get some food. Depending on where you live in the area, most stores like Walgreens aren't too far away to walk. I don't suggest walking at night alone, though, especially if you're a girl. Take an Uber if you can, and make sure your driver has a high rating!