How To Decide Where To Go To College

How To Decide Where To Go To College

It's that time of year again

78
How To Decide Where To Go To College
Photo by Priscilla Du Preez on Unsplash

It’s that time of the year again: College Decision Time.

Maybe you’ve had the deposit to your dream school down since December, or maybe, if you’re like me, you’ve saved the decision till a week before May First. Deciding where to go to college is hard.It can feel as though it’ll be the choice that makes or break your whole life. As someone who has a hard time deciding what to order at Starbucks, I understand how daunting this sort of decision can be.

First things first. Ignore anyone or anything telling you that your life depends on this choice.I know I mentioned how it feels like that, but it’s just a feeling. College is largely what you make of it, so no matter where you go, it’s up to you to make the most of it. You can make the most of any college you attend. And maybe you will make the “wrong” decision, and wind up transferring.

But I’m a big advocate for the realization that mistakes are the things that make up our lives, and should be viewed as an opportunity. In most cases, there probably isn’t a “wrong” choice. If you’re caught deciding between a number of schools, odds are no matter what you choose, the experience will shape your life in some sort of (hopefully) beneficial way.

Now, onto the choosing.I am a huge supporter of a pro and con list. This sort of thing is for the logical reasoning. Which college is most financially feasible, which has the campus you liked the best, which has the best courses for your major. Make a list that ranks the things most important to you, then see which school has the most pros for the most important things.

Pros can be anything from the fact that you got a scholarship to the fact that you really loved the dorm rooms to that you love the colors of the sweatshirts.

Cons could be that the school is bigger than you want or that you didn’t like how far away the buildings are.

Just because a school has more pros or cons doesn’t make it inherently better or worse, but writing things down can help you concretely see the differences between schools you may be stuck between.

It is important to have some semblance of logic when choosing a college. If your dream is to become a nurse and the school you love doesn’t have a nursing program, it’s probably in your best interest to really consider your choice based on fact. But sometimes it comes down to something else entirely. When the pros and cons of a few schools seem to neutralize each other, it feels like you’re just back where you started: Stuck.

Once you have used your mind to decide, and it still doesn't work, it's time to find another method. You have to listen to your gut. This isn't always easy, and sometimes it feels like your gut is silent. I've often heard people say that the second they stepped on their college campus, they knew it was the one for them. I never felt this. It took three trips to my school to know it was right for me. But eventually, something does click. Maybe you don't know it at the time, but looking back, you can find the school that feels right.

It's not easy, but once you find the feeling, you know. It is a sort of undefinable feeling, but there are aspects that add to it. On the tour, was your guide, someone, you could imagine being friends with? Were the professors you met the sort of professors you would want teaching you? Were the students on campus the sort of people you could see yourself fitting in with? Could you see yourself being happy there?

Hopefully, there's a school that answers yes to those questions. Deciding where to go for the next for years is scary. But it's not something to worry too much about, since it will eventually work out, no matter what you think right now. In the end, the best advice I can give is don't let other people decide for you, since only you know where you'll fit best. The right decision is the one you make yourself.