How To Care For Baby Teeth: Eruption, Symptoms, Signs and Early Care

Introduction

30

Babies are born with all 20 primary teeth below their gum line. Usually, a baby’s first tooth develops at the age of 6 months, but some start much later or may take up to 12 to 14 months. So, you need not worry if your baby doesn't have teeth between 7 to 8 months. Some children have a single tooth at a time, whereas others erupt teeth in pairs. They usually have their full set of primary teeth by the age of 3.

However, babies feel irritation during this period. As a result, baby teething can be a scary time, especially for new parents. So, what can you do for your baby? What are the symptoms and signs of teething? Why and how to care for primary teeth? If you are seeking answers to such questions, you are at the right place. In this guide, we will discuss everything you need to know on how to care for baby teeth.

What Is Tooth Eruption? What Are The Signs Of Teeth Eruption?

Tooth eruption refers to the tooth breaking through the gum line. Usually, babies have their first tooth by the age of 6 months. However, the timing of tooth eruption varies with children. At times, babies become cranky and irritable. While some experts don’t believe teething can cause any symptoms, many parents link different symptoms with teething, including diarrhea, fever, runny nose, etc.

However, the reason behind diarrhea, fever, and runny nose may be the change in the immune system. Since babies tend to put things in their mouths, they come in contact with bad bacteria and viruses, making them prone to illnesses.

Talking about the symptoms of teething, it varies from child to child. While some children may feel no pain, others exhibit severe pain and tenderness that last from a few days to several weeks, depending on the number of tooth eruptions at the same time.

So, the teething symptoms may include:

●Swollen and tender gums

●Profuse drooling, which further leads to dry or chapped skin around the mouth

●Loss of appetite

●Irritability

●Biting toys, sucking on fingers or toys

●Change in eating and sleeping patterns

●Repetitive eye rubbing or ear pulling

●Fussiness and crying

What are the other signs of tooth eruption? What can you do to relieve the discomfort?

Since teeth erupt through the gum surface, babies may experience gum and jaw discomfort. When the tooth erupts from the gum line, you may notice swollen or slightly red gums. Sometimes a fluid-filled area like a blood blister can be noticed over the erupting tooth. Since the molar teeth are larger in size, they cause more discomfort than incisor teeth.

During the teething period, your baby’s gums are the area that causes them discomfort. And applying gentle pressure on the gums helps children feel better. So, you can rub a clean finger or a cool, wet cloth to soothe the gums and help alleviate this discomfort.

Apart from this, you can use a cup or pacifier if the pain interferes with feeding problems. If any of these remedies don’t work, you can also contact your pediatric dentist clinic in Edmonton. The pediatric dentist will suggest some medicine that will help them ease the pain and discomfort.

How to take care of primary teeth? Why is it important?

While some parents may wonder why they should struggle to care for the primary teeth when new teeth will replace them, it is recommended to schedule a dental visit for your child by the age of 1. The reason behind it is that even the baby teeth tend to decay due to sugary foods and liquid, further creating problems for the permanent teeth.

Your child’s primary teeth will be shed at different times throughout childhood. They will get all of their permanent teeth by the age of 21. However, to ensure that they have healthy permanent teeth, it is recommended to start teaching your child the importance of oral care and brushing from an early age.

Make sure every time you finish feeding your baby, clean their gums and teeth with a soft cloth to avoid the accumulation of bacteria and cavities. When your child turns two, teach them how to brush their teeth. Always use a soft toothbrush. Flossing is also a crucial part of oral hygiene habits. Discuss the right time to start flossing with your pediatric dentist in Edmonton.

The Bottom Line

Like adults, children can also get cavities. The dental cavities will not only create pain but can also develop several dental infections and diseases. So, being a responsible parent, you should take care of your baby’s primary teeth seriously.

Now that you know everything about caring for baby teeth, what are you waiting for? Look for an affordable pediatric dentist in Edmonton who can assist you during your baby’s teething phase. Make sure you do proper research before choosing a pediatric dentist for your child.

Note: All suggestions are accepted. Please review it once again.