How To Balance A Sport, 2 Jobs, And 4 AP Classes

School is important, but maintaining your mental and physical health is even more imperative.

501

For the past four years, I have learned to balance two sports, two jobs, and all AP and Honors classes.

It may sound easy to those of you who are rising freshman or students thinking of increasing your rigor slightly next year because so many other students have done so. However, spreading yourself so thin is no simple task, and takes an abundance of time management and hard work.

Freshman and sophomore year I danced along with running Cross Country. During my second year of high school, I also had two jobs in order to fundraise money to go on a study abroad trip over the summer. Taking all honors and AP classes as well, I had never been so stretched thin before in my life. However, this prepared me for the next two years of high school, which entailed pretty much the same barricades.

Here are three things I learned from these experiences: DON’T procrastinate. So simple, yet nearly impossible to overcome. I am extremely guilty of this, but what saved my life was getting assignments done during school in periods in which we weren’t doing much. I also would go to Starbucks in the morning before or after school, even if an assignment isn’t due the next day. That weight of not having one more thing to do being taken off your shoulders is such relief.

Second, say 'no' to certain opportunities. I’m a people pleaser, so whenever anyone would ask me to help with something or go to an event, I never said 'no.' But as the years have gone by, I realized to improve mental health you must have rest. You don’t have to say no to everything, but make sure to really plan and manage your time.

Finally, find different “releases” in your life. It’s different for everyone, but working out is personally one of mine. Even though I dance pretty much every day, I still love to go burn off some steam at the gym or go to yoga classes. These releases should also be spent by yourself; having some “me time” will allow you to attain a clear mind and a full heart.