How the Millennial Unemployment Rate is Affecting Me

When the world is an oyster but you are not a peal

156
Today I Found Out

For the past two months I've been searching for the ever-elusive post-grad job. I'm graduating in December with a degree in Communications and concentration in public relations (have questions about this major? I'd love to answer them!) and, not one, but two minors. In fact, I worked so hard, I'm even graduating a semester early.

I started out full of hope, the world was my oyster and I was a pearl, but now I'm still a tiny grain of sand in the ocean as I enter into desperation. According to my handy-dandy Excel spreadsheet, I have applied for 83 jobs in four different cities since August 31 and only 3 have contacted me in any shape or form. Out of those three, only one has resulted in an interview and one emailed me to say "we'll see if we have a position for you"-- whatever that means.

That means a whopping .03 percent have contacted me.

I have to wonder: why am I not getting any calls for interviews or even a no-thank-you email? I'm qualified; I have three internships (one at a software company, another in a marketing agency and another at a non-profit), my experience as a Contributing Editor here at Odyssey, volunteer experience with my local Kiwanis Club (a great cause, everyone should get involved so find your local club here) and an expected degree from a pretty snazzy school (if I do say so myself).

Don't get me wrong-- I'm willing to put in the work to find a job. I spend hours applying, scouring different job boards, I look under the careers section with different companies in case they have some listed and I've even put out the call to friends and family to let me know if they hear of anything. I go to networking events and, in my retail job, I talk to everyone about what they do and if they know of any openings.

So, what gives? Why has the majority (seriously, 99.07 percent) not contacted me one way or another?

As baffling as it is, I'm not the only one having this issue. The reports are in and results say that Millennials are the most unemployed and underemployed generation. That pesky 5.4 percent unemployment rate? Yeah, tell that to Millennials. A huge portion of Millennials are either unemployed or underemployed-- a staggering 44 percent are underemployed and our unemployment rate is at 12.8 percent.

Employers are hesitant to hire us because the Baby Boomers-- our grandparents and parents-- are holding onto their jobs longer because they're insecure financially. With no one leaving the workplace, no jobs are opening up and the workplace is growing stagnant.

Oh, all that super cool technology? Yeah, that's taking our jobs, too.

We don't even view buying a house as part of the American Dream anymore because it feels so unattainable. The generation after us, the iGeneration, is reported to be the most disenfranchised generation yet because they see their siblings struggling in the job market. In fact, the members of the iGeneration don't even believe in the American Dream.

But, to be honest, I don't know if I do anymore, either.

Leaving college with a ton of student loans is very scary. Competition for academic-based scholarships was fierce and I didn't make the cut. My parents made too much for me to qualify for need-based scholarships but, honestly, how many people's parents can pay for the ever-increasing cost of a college education out of pocket? I wasn't planning on asking my parents to do that for me because, while society is telling me college is necessary to be successful, college was ultimately my decision that I need to take responsibility for.

So, I took out loans. Loans that I need to start making payments on six months after I graduate. How do you pay back those loans? A job.

I'm still getting discouraged and so are many other Millennials. There are entry level jobs out there that require a Master's degree. It has come to the point where so many people have a Master's degree employers can require them.

And that is terrifying to me.

I think Forbes wrote it best: "We’ve even been dubbed “The Cheapest Generation,” but perhaps a more accurate title would be “The Generation Getting Shafted.”" Contrary to popular belief, we are working hard. I spend at least seven or eight hours a week applying for jobs with no luck.

Even though I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place, I will continue to work hard. I will continue applying for everything and calling everyone, because I, not unlike many Millennials, am extremely career oriented. I want to work hard and I want to be a good employee doing what I love.

I just need the opportunity.