How The Beauty Industry Runs On Your Insecurities

2186

Everyone wants to feel beautiful, handsome, stunning, and for some, they will pay whatever it takes to feel that way. Both men and women feel the pressure to live up to society's standards of beauty. Beauty is a multibillion dollar idea that has been expanding for years with more advancements to come. With new products coming out every month, the public can’t wait to get the newest craze. But how do they get consumers coming back for more?

Advertisements are written and produced in a certain way each time to maximize demographic and ensure more sales. The oldest trick in the book advertisers use is the generalized question to draw in the viewer of the ad (e.g., "Do you want Sexier Hair?") Not only are these questions up for interpretation by the viewer so they can relate it to their problems, but it pinpoints an insecurity shared by many around the globe. These insecurities can not only be highlighted through the dialogue or text of the advertisement, but also the presentation. For example, in the Axe Hair Gel commercials, there are two main focuses. First and foremost, the product itself reminds the male viewer of their insecurity when it comes to their hair. Whether that be with how to style it, its overall appearance or even those who are lacking in this area. But the other important aspect is the "immediate side effects" that emphasizes the idea that in this case men should want women all over them. For those viewers who are struggling with getting women, this ad reminds them of that fact, causing a desire to buy the product. This technique is used by a wide range of beauty companies targeting both genders’ insecurities.

Society’s idea of beauty is based on idealized celebrities, models or others who are Photoshopped in most of their photos. With this in mind, companies use celebrities and models in their ads or even get them to have their own inspired line of products just for the consumer. These products give the consumers a way to achieve their desired beauty. Every beauty product out there is designed to fix the consumer’s "problems" and ease their pain. So pretty much just making them feel awful about themselves and selling them some stuff. Why is it that our insecurities are the new form of currency for companies?

Rise Above It

To stay above all of the negative commercialized beauty advertisements, I would recommend that, when watching or reading an ad, you focus on the product itself. What I mean by that is do not get distracted because Omg your fav actress is in the ad and she looks bomb. Most of the time, the person advertising the product has never used the product themselves, so their presence is just for entertainment. Remember that the product itself should hold up to its claims, whatever they may be, and focus on the facts about the product.

If you are like me, you probably always want to try out the latest product, and for that, I would recommend you ask yourself if you really need it. Do you already have three other mascaras that you switch off from in your makeup bag? Then you have to tell yourself the fourth one will not make a difference, and you've really got to pick one mascara because that is a lot to have at one time.

This idea of beauty is all about comparing ourselves to a fake cosmetic beauty. Most people forget that they are beautiful without all of those products. From this, I hope you were able to learn that beauty is not defined by the products you use, but who you are as a person. Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder; I hope you can see your beauty through your own eyes.