How Porn Effects Peoples' Lives and Gender Equality in Society

Internet porn has polluted the subconscious minds of the youth and halts the progression in achieving true equality among genders. Read about how the Porn Industry is detrimental to not only society, but to individual emancipation.

24
https://www.verywellfamily.com/the-negative-effects-of-too-much-screen-time-1094877

As a result of what could largely be the result of the commoditization of the male-dominated Porn Industry, particularly that which displays (in most cases, female) actors being abused or coerced, society (especially the youth) is consistently met with the challenge of overcoming ideologies that internationally stagnate the movement toward gender equality.

Eli Nash, CEO of JEG & Sons Inc. and the Co-Founder of MicDrop, stated in a TED Talk released in 2019 that his number one goal was to never watch porn again.

He acknowledges the great shame that is widely felt by people who suffer from sexual addiction and addiction to pornographic material.

Canadian researcher, Simon Lajeunesse, found that most boys seek pornography by the age of 10. Research has also demonstrated that, rather than mere nudity, it is the variety or novelty of pornographic material that stimulates an arousal that can easily lead to addiction.

With the selection the internet provides us today, a male can see more nude, attractive women in a few minutes than his ancestors could see in their entire lifetime.

A heavy porn user's brain almost rewires itself to become associated with behaviors like being alone, voyeurism, and seeking constant novelty to satisfy the spiked dopamine levels that his brain has adapted to.

This is biologically and psychologically known as the Coolidge effect; a phenomenon seen where males – and to a lesser extent, females – exhibit renewed sexual interest when introduced to new sexual partners. The reason for this comes from what is called our brain's "Reward Circuit," and it's evolutionary direction to drive us toward more natural rewards (such as sex and food).

As a consequence of obtaining extreme forms of these natural rewards, for example, high-calorie foods or high novelty women, the brain produces too much dopamine that has the ability to override our natural satiation mechanisms.

The dramatic increase in dopamine levels in the brain of a porn addict almost directly impacts the sensations of emotional connection, interaction, and courtship.

In a 2009 study Lajeunesse attempted to conduct on college students, he stated he was not able to find a control group of students who did not watch porn.

The addiction to sex or porn actually stems further into the simple concept of arousal. Symptoms of "arousal addiction" are said to mimic mental disorders, such as ADHD, social anxiety, depression, performance anxiety, and OCD.

A major perspective that many healthcare providers have is that these symptoms are primary sources that lead to things such as internet porn/sexual addiction; blind to the fact that it could be the other way around – that internet addiction could lead to such symptoms.

On top of this, as I learned from "The Porn Paradox" by Megan Johnson, "2 studies conducted in 2005 and 2010 revealed that 90% of the most popular porn downloads contain multiple instances of physical and verbal aggression and violence all directed at women who, in turn, are portrayed to enjoy the abuse."

As a male feminist who grew up in this society where watching such obscenities is so commonly viewed as natural or normal, it's explicitly clear to me how the Porn Industry is molding misogynistic thoughts/beliefs in men starting at a young age.

In turn, the teachings of porn have a vice-versa effect on women – stalemating humanity's push for Equality by creating two-sided movements like Meninism and Feminism.

By saying this I'm not implying that the feminist movement is not about attaining equal rights. Through my perspective, using the words (Fem)inism and (Men)inism alone create negative connotations and are easy ways to expose people to misogyny/misandry; drawing radical lines separates men and women – not just in law or nature, but also in spirit.

Rather, I see a multitude of individuals who've – at a young age – been stripped of their autonomy through exposure to pornographic content.

Culturally hardwired to resort to chauvinistic ideologies when feeling threatened by the power of a person or population of the opposite gender, we allow for an inevitable cycle of sexist dogma to be strengthened by our desires and/or habits.

While we mend the economic and legislative gender gap, it's also crucial to do the same with the negative subconscious beliefs that the Porn Industry manifests in the individual.