5 Tips In Learning How To Negotiate A Salary

Take notes, my friends.

68
https://az616578.vo.msecnd.net/files/2017/10/05/636427695933084598386625703_Salary%20photo%20.jpg

It's been a busy couple of weeks, so I figured I give back to my readers with some real world advice. This week, I am going to tell you some tips on salary negotiations. I wouldn't use these for your typical part-time jobs (retail, restaurants, theme parks), but if you happen to have a legit job, I feel these tips can really help you get the most out of your base salary. Since this is The Odyssey, I will give you my top five tips, because you know, tradition and stuff.

1. Let The Employer To Make The First Offer.

Some people are 50/50 on this tip, but I say let the employer make the first offer. This gives you a change to explain why you deserve more than what they have offered you. In my experience, most of the time if they like you enough and they think you did your research, you're gonna end up with pretty satisfied with the first offer you get, but if you're not happy with it, communicate that with the employer. Do not fall into the trap of being lowballed in salary negotiation.

2. Do Your Research Prior To The Job Interview.

This one is a no-brainer, but often forgotten. Do your research about the job you are applying to. This includes job descriptions, job duties, and average salary of the position. Glassdoor is best for this, and once you have the average salary from there, all you would have to do is factor in your experience, education, skills, and any other relevant factors in negotiating in a possible higher salary.

3. Salary Negotiation Doesn't Necessarily Mean Salary.

Sometimes, you don't get the salary you want, yes that happens. That doesn't mean you can't negotiate on other things besides that. Maybe you could negotiate more vacation days, better health insurance, a flexible work schedule, or even a private office. Consider all possibilities before accepting your salary.

4. Be Honest.

Don't lie about your original salary, please be honest. It never ends well on the negotiation table for those that lie. Also, know your worth as well. The goal is trying to maximize your salary, but in the most honest way possible. Being honest can get you a higher salary because if you have gotten this far into the interview, the employer is looking to appeal to you, remember that.

5. Learn When To Walk Away.

If everything you work for doesn't work, it's best to walk away. However, if you are walking away from the salary negotiation table, have a back up plan. Sometimes, you don't get what you want from a company and that's okay, but if the offer is the best you can get at the time, then you might want to learn how to take it.