Yes, There IS Such A Thing As Too Much PDA

One day, during finals week, I was just minding my own business in the library, studying for my Calculus exam.

I went in the "quiet section" of the library so I would be more focused and really get down to business... let's just say I was not the only one looking to "get down to business." I looked to my left, and there was this girl sitting on her boyfriend's lap at a desk.

"Whatever, it's not a big deal," I thought to myself. I looked down at my notes, and as I took a sip of my coffee, I saw the girl give a quick kiss to the guy. "Alright, you could get a room, but whatever," I thought. My pencil fell on the floor and so as I reached to pick it up, I saw that the couple was having a full-on make-out session in the middle of the library!

"You've got to be kidding me," I muttered under my breath. I personally found the entire situation really gross, and I just don't understand how people find it OK to parade their intimate relationships with the whole world as if it is some big performance.

Don't get me wrong, I am all for public displays of affection, but there is a line that people just should not cross.

You want to give your S.O. a hug? Go ahead. A quick peck on the cheek? Go for it. Want to hold hands on your way to class? Go nuts. But there is absolutely no reason your tongue should be down someone else's throat in a public place.

News flash! NOBODY WANTS TO SEE THAT!

Of course, there are certain circumstances where that is socially acceptable — like at a party or a club, but if I am trying to memorize what A squared plus B squared equals, or figure out an initial value problem of a separable differential equation, then I'm going to need the distance between you and your partners mouths to equal the rate at which you get off your partner's lap times the time it takes you to walk out of that library.

Everybody assumes I am that stereotypical single person who is "just jealous" and hates having couples around me... while this is partially true, I can't control what people can and can't do. I am all for people exercising their free will. You do you!

But I personally find it very rude and disrespectful when people find the need to show extreme PDA.

This excludes things like hugging and holding hands. If you are making people uncomfortable and you are putting them in a position where they need to purposefully look the other way to avoid catching a glimpse at your "display of affection," then that should be a hint that what you're doing is not suitable for a public place.

I thought it would be interesting to hear what other people had to say about the topic, so I asked around:

Jessica, 21

"I feel like they should just do it somewhere else. If it's holding hands, whatever, but kissing a lot then it's just a little too much."

Michael, 20

"I don't care. It doesn't bother me."

Paige, 20

"I feel like it depends on who they are. If I know them, then it's OK, but if I'm at, let's say a mall, and I see people all over each other then it is a little weird. Holding hands is perfect and great. Hugging is great. I guess making out is the only thing that I would say 'you don't need to make out in front of other people.'"

Billy, 28

"I'm all for affections. I'm ready to cross any line."

Anthony, 23

"It depends on the extent. I keep PDA to a certain degree with my girlfriend. We will hold hands in public and I'll have my arm around her shoulder and give her a kiss or two, but besides that, I don't know. I've seen people become 'too much' in public and I see that other people are warier around them or feel intimidated."

Ian, 32

"I love love. Just don't take any clothes off and it's all good. You gotta express your love."

Going off the last one, though, I love love too, but I don't love it being shoved in my face everywhere I turn.

I understand that everyone has their own free will and they have the freedom to do whatever they want and it is their body, their rules, but I just find it unnecessary and rude to walk around as if there is a magnet on your partner's and your mouth.

Call me old fashioned, but what happens in the bedroom should stay in the bedroom.

Follow Swoon on Instagram.