How Marching Band Changed Me

How Marching Band Changed Me

This one time at band camp...

207
How Marching Band Changed Me
Glenn Tonkin

As this week begins, so does band camp at my former high school. For the first time in three years, I will not be attending. Instead I am anxiously awaiting move in day, gathering school supplies, purchasing dorm essentials, and ordering textbooks. I've been a part of marching band since I was a sophomore. Marching band changed me in many ways and taught me countless lessons, but it took a while to get there.

In my freshman year of high school I was persuaded by many friends to join winter drumline. This was a percussion ensemble made up of bass drums, snare drums, tenors, keyboards, and some auxiliary percussion. I had zero idea of how to play any of these instruments, but I was willing to learn. I was signed up for keyboards, meaning I would be playing xylophone, vibraphone, or marimba. I of course had no idea how to play these instruments. I had little knowledge of how to play the piano, but that would help me. I could read notes because I was in chorus and I was in band in fifth and sixth grade. Other than that, I was clueless. I stepped into the band room that day scared and worried I wouldn't like this. I was quite wrong, and by the end of winter drumline, I walked into the band room to my former band director and expressed my interest in joining marching band the following season. To my surprise he was happy I want to join, and was looking forward to seeing me in August at band camp.

That first day of band camp was terrifying. I was among the freshmen, even though I was a sophomore. I was new to band and had no idea what I was doing. I was surrounded by my friends who are pros at this and surrounded by strangers who would then become friends, and basically family. During that week and a half at band camp, I followed directions, did as I was told, and learned what it was like to be in band. And I absolutely loved it. I spent the rest of marching band season performing with those who were there for the same reason that I was.

For the next two years, I became a role model for my former underclassman. I learned my music quickly so that I could help those who needed it. I formed bonds within my section, and I will miss those girls a lot as fall comes around this year. I will miss rehearsals three nights a week, filled with stress but also laughter. I will miss waking up early on Saturday mornings to get to school, ready to get a rehearsal in before getting on the bus and heading to our competition for the day. I will miss band bus ride to and from competitions, filled with obnoxious off key singing. I will miss Friday nights sitting in the stands at football games cheering for our team, even though they were pretty bad.

Through all of that, marching band changed me. I began high school scared and shy. I was too afraid to really join any clubs because I didn't think I would fit in. I was scared I wouldn't make friends, so I didn't even try. Marching band allowed me to get out of my shell and be a bubbly person around those who were just like me. Marching band let me share my love for music with people who shared the same love. Marching band taught me perseverance. It wasn't always easy learning a seven minute show- and I wasn't even marching- but marching band taught me how to do so. Marching band taught me patience. Nobody can play a three measure triplet run on the marimba the day they get their music. It may have taken me a while to realize this, but I still remind myself this each time I play. Marching band taught me time management. Between rehearsals at school and taking AP and Honors courses, I had to balance it all somehow; marching band taught me how to do that.

Most of all, marching band taught me how to have fun. I got to fly to Disney World with band and march down Main Street USA. Marching band allowed me to make friendships I hope to keep forever. Marching band brought me joy and happiness on Saturday nights as I sat with my friends, cheering on other bands as they performed. Marching band showed me what it was like to succeed. There's no better feeling than hearing your school's name announced along with first place for your division. There's no better feeling than when the drum majors run on the bus displaying the trophy as the entire bus erupts into screams and cheers. Marching band taught me what failure feels like. We didn't always win, but that was okay. We would just improve upon what we did wrong and fix it for the next week. And we did. Marching band taught me that the only person you could be better than was you. That lesson I will take with me forever.

As this week rolls around I wish I was outside, baking in the sun, learning music and beginning to put together a field show. Most of all I wish I was with my band family, laughing and enjoying the moment. All I have now are the amazing memories I made in those three years. Although there is not a marching band at my college, I will still continue my music career, and I will always remember winter drumline and how it introduced me to the wonderful world of marching band. I will forever be thankful, for it changed me and ways I never knew it would.