How To Make The Most Of Your Freshman Year

This year is for you, and you only! Take advantage of that.
24

As the campuses are getting full and the sidewalks are becoming cluttered, school is officially in session. Continuing on my journey, I am now a sophomore! Freshman year is the year to start new, learn the impossible, and make memories that will last you a lifetime.

1. Enjoy living on your own

Sharing a room can be frustrating and missing your family can be hard, but make the most out of it. This is the first time you are dependent on only yourself, chose how you spend your nights and what you eat for dinner...(be careful with that though).

2. Create amazing playlists

These playlists can take you class to class, help your long study sessions, or slowly put you to sleep. Music is a great way to have fun, be quiet, and everything in between.

3. Enjoy the outdoors

Sitting in classes for several hours and cramming at your desk is obviously necessary, but just enjoying the outdoors and taking time to relax is sometimes the best medicine. I found clarity in my hammock, outside on coffee shop patios, or even walking to class. Getting fresh air and enjoying the campus you are a part of is a great way to remind you of all the greatness that surrounds you!

4. Get involved

Yes, I am sure you have been told this 100x. Sure it will help you make friends and feel more comfortable on campus, but more so, it helped me find my niche. Learning more about yourself and what you enjoy is what college is for. We are here to guide a light to our futures and trying out new clubs and activities can be a great way to start.

5. Join Greek life

No, it is not the stereotypical movies you have seen and are scared of. I have found my very best friends in my sorority. Being in a Greek community allows you to get involved, enjoy college to the fullest, and meet so many people. When I say meet a lot of people, I mean it. Getting to know people who enjoy service, volunteering, academics, fun and share the same morals is life changing. There is a house that is waiting for your arrival and that arrival might just change your life.

6. Call your family

Being away from home is great. It is wonderful making our own memories and creating a life we have always been waiting for. But, who can we thank for that? The people that have always been there for us. I remember hearing, "You should only call your family once a month." Talking to your family weekly is important to keep you grounded, feel love, relieve stress, and share things with. They are just as excited as you and want to hear all about it. Don't forget about them.

7. Focus on YOU

In college, it might be very easy for you to get caught up in different types of relationships. Just remember that the next four years are for YOU and YOU only. Learn how to get coffee and study alone, make decisions for you and that will benefit you and no one else. Easier said than done, but this time is for you to create your future and grow up as a better person and individual.