How To Lose That Pesky 'Freshman 15'

How To Lose That Pesky 'Freshman 15'

It is possible, I promise.

33
How To Lose That Pesky 'Freshman 15'
Fitness.com

Last week, I wrote an article on tips for preventing the "Freshman 15." I received some requests for an article on how I lost the "Freshman 15." Unfortunately, losing it is not as easy as preventing it. In order to lose it, you will need diet and exercise. You will have to treat yourself less and start counting calories.

I also would like to add a disclaimer that I highly recommend consulting with a health professional before deciding to lose weight. Every body is different, and some people need more calories than others. Consult with a health professional before you begin counting calories.

I had an app that told me I should eat no more than 1,200 calories a day, when I later learned by my doctor that I should eat at least 1,600 calories a day. It is important to be sure that you are not overdoing it, and that you remain healthy. So, if you choose to follow my advice, be sure that you are doing it correctly.

1. Burn more calories than you intake

Keep in mind that your body burns calories on its own throughout the day. Whether you are eating, sleeping, or studying, your body is breaking down calories to convert into energy. Depending on how many calories you need to intake, you may need to work out for thirty minutes to an hour a day in order to be sure you are burning off everything you ate.

2. Enjoy your workout

Working out does not necessarily mean running on a treadmill or lifting heavy weights. Although it is important to lift weights occasionally to build muscle, you can find something you enjoy doing for your workout. Whether it is taking a walk through the city at a brisk pace, dancing, bike riding, or anything else, be sure you are having fun. If you force yourself to run for an hour every day, chances are you are not going to stick to your routine for long.

3. Find a buddy

It is so much easier working out with a buddy. You can motivate each other, and it makes the workout go by faster.

4. Eat balanced meals

This should be discussed with your physician, but be sure you are getting enough nutrients in your diet. It is important to eat carbs, fats, starches, protein, and other nutrients in your meals. Your body needs all of these to properly function.

5. Enjoy what you eat

Be sure that your healthy meals are something that you enjoy eating, and not something that you are forcing yourself to eat. You really can't treat yourself too much, since you are focusing on losing and not maintaining. If you are actually enjoying your meals, though, you won't feel the need to splurge on junk food.

6. Find ways to incorporate exercise

There are so many ways to get exercise in your daily routine. Whether it is driving less and walking more, taking stairs instead of the elevator, or walking at a faster pace, there are surely ways to burn more calories throughout the day.

7. Don't give up!

This is not a change that will happen over night, and it may take anywhere from a few weeks to a few months to start seeing results. But just know that you will only see changes if you continue with your routine. Stay hopeful and determined, and you will eventually lose all of the weight that you gained your freshman year.