How To Lessen Your Anxiety in 5 Steps

How To Lessen Your Anxiety in 5 Steps

Unmanageable anxiety can harm your life. Here are some ways to help you out.

11
How To Lessen Your Anxiety in 5 Steps

Anxiety can be a good thing sometimes, but, when it starts to affect your life, then it's time to find ways to keep it at a reasonable level. Here are a few steps I've learned to keep it in check.

1. Acknowledge It

A lot of the time we don't want to acknowledge the fact that what we are doing is giving us anxiety. We think that it is a part of our everyday life. We need to understand that, while anxiety is a part in our lives, it doesn't always have to be there. I'm not saying Tha this will magically cure it because I know from experience that it really won't, but just saying, "This gives me anxiety," rather than ignoring it and hoping it will go away goes a long way.

2. Talk To Someone

I've found that talking to someone else about the anxiety allows for some relief. Talking to a counsellor can be a real help because they can give you strategies to work on the anxiety and get to the root of the problem. Or talking to friends or family works too. They might not have answers for you, but I know that after talking with my friends that they have some of the same problems I do. Knowing that someone else understands what you're going through gives you someone to go to if you're having problems and they can give you advice on what they would do in that situation.

3. Find Some Coping Strategies

Find some ways to help with your particular anxieties. Everyone has different anxiety, whether it's anticipatory, social or something else. You need to find something that fits you. For me, I tend to overthink about both the future and the past, so I need something to ground me to the present. I try meditation and using my senses to know what I'm doing right now in the present.

4. Allow Yourself To Make Mistakes

It's a process to get better. It's alright to make mistakes and do things wrong. As long as you focus on your progress, rather than what you've done wrong, you will do much better for yourself. Learn from your mistakes and figure out what you can do to get better.

5. Validate Yourself

Remind yourself that you are doing the best you can and you can do this. What you are feeling is real, but it is okay to want to do better. Wanting to make progress with your anxiety is the first step towards feeling better.

I'm not saying this will get rid of your anxiety completely because it won't. However, it can get better and become more manageable. I know you can do it.