How It Feels To Be An Independent Person

Forever alone because I want to be.

307

If you're like me then you know how it feels to consider yourself a loner. And by "loner" I mean: perfectly capable of being on your own and enjoying your own company. Sure, it's nice to have those moments with friends and groups of people, but there's nothing better than those nights where you're alone and no one is getting on your nerves. All my life, I've loved to be by myself. It's not that I don't like people or can't get along with them, I just feel like I don't know how to get along with people. If it was up to me, I would be that social butterfly that will talk to anyone and everyone while feeling comfortable enough to do so, but that's not how God made me. There are times when I look at myself in the mirror and I think, why don't you be more social? The answer to that is: I don't want to be. Some people think I'm weird but there's nothing I love more than staying home by myself. I consider myself to be mainly independent but sometimes I do want the company of others. If you're not an independent person, then here's what it's like to be one:

1. We Get Annoyed Easily.

This might just be me because I'm the only friend in my "friend group" that's the independent person, and I can honestly say that I can get super annoyed, super fast. I can't deal with loud, hyper people or girls that are too bratty. People that are too arrogant and self-centered bother me the most and it seems like every time I go out, I'm stuck with either hyper, loud or arrogant people. All of which end up being incredibly annoying and make me annoyed within five minutes. Once I get annoyed, I want to go home and curl in a ball and watch some Netflix (which sounds like the best plan ever). That's one of the reasons why I like to stay in by myself: so people don't annoy me.

2. We're Totally Fine With Being Alone.

Does anyone else have a mother that finds their child's desire to be by them self worrisome? Because I do. I can tell that my mother is slightly worried that something might be wrong with me because I prefer to be alone. There's nothing wrong, I just would rather do what I want to do and get shit done than try to do stuff with other people and get annoyed. I used to hate going places like to the mall or out to eat alone because I felt like everyone was judging me and thinking I was a loner but now I don't even care. I loathe going to the mall, which is why I like going by myself because I'm in and out. Some of my friends don't understand why I go to coffee shops by myself and scroll through Pinterest but that's fine. I'm doing me. Don't worry mom, everything is A-okay.

3. But We Also Don't Mind Company.

Only on those rare occasions. AKA: lonely nights.

4. We Don't Know How To Converse.

Sometimes we literally have no idea. I'm used to doing things on my own and not having anybody around, and I find it hard to have conversations with other people. Especially boys. It's tragic. I just don't find a need to really talk to people because I'm good on my own so when I'm forced to talk to someone, it's like I don't know how.

5. Relationships Are Hard.

Especially for me. I know that I'm not good with relationships, at all, and it took me a while to realize that it's because of me. I've always wondered why i've been the one to break up with guys and for a while, I thought it was because I was just dating the wrong guys. Now that I've been single for a while and I've had time to think on why things go wrong, I see that it's because of me and how I like to be alone. One of the reasons, more like patterns, that I've noticed when it comes to relationships is that I get annoyed with the guy. Somewhere down the road, I start to get annoyed with feeling like I have to rely on someone else or please someone else 24/7 when I'm used to it being me. This is terrible because I seriously want a relationship. I'm the type of girl who's now super smart with the men she chooses to date because of the assholes I've been with in this past. Maybe that has a little something to play into why it's so hard to date now but a majority of it is because I prefer to be independent. Lord help the man that I'm supposed to be with.

6. There's Nothing Worse Than Group Work.

I. Hate. Group. Work. The ironic thing is that I'm going to school for teaching and in my future classroom, I plan on strictly doing group work so my students don't have homework. But when I'm the one being forced to do group work, I'd rather pull my eyes out with a fork. I can get the project done faster if I do it by myself since I'm not relying on either people to hold up their end of the bargain and I don't have to deal with the lazy people when doing individual work. I understand teachers wanting their students to learn how to "work together" and "connect with other students" but seriously, there's nothing that an independent person hates more than group work.

This is just a small glimpse of what it's like to be an independent person. We love people, we really do, but we love being alone even more. There's nothing wrong with it. It's just how we're made.