How HBO Max is Competing with Disney Plus and Netflix

HBO Max's new series and specials will join a library of episodes and films totaling 3,000 hours of programming.

42

At the heart of WarnerMedia's strategy to establish HBO Max as a must-have streaming service for families in the same way that Disney Plus and Netflix have done is the "unveiling" of Cartoon Network as the company's key family brand.

With new series, specials, and films from some of Cartoon Network's most popular brands — like Ben 10, Teen Titans Go!, and The Amazing World of Gumball — HBO Max (Try HBOMax TV Sign in guide today) is focusing heavily on children's and family programming in an attempt to compete with Netflix and Disney Plus.

At the heart of WarnerMedia's strategy to establish HBO Max as a must-have streaming service for families in the same way that Disney Plus and Netflix have done is the "unveiling" of Cartoon Network as the company's key family brand. HBO Max's new series and specials will join a library of episodes and films totaling 3,000 hours of programming. Branding is critical and difficult, but it makes a studio like Disney successful. Disney Plus is centered on its most successful franchises, including Pixar, making it a no-brainer for families. By leveraging Cartoon Network, which currently has a dedicated hub on HBO Max's site, and increasing content production, WarnerMedia is undoubtedly expecting some families to switch from Disney Plus to HBO Max.

Children's programming is in high demand, and it's easy to see why. According to a Morning Consult report published in August 2020, YouTube and Netflix (Try Netflix Login Guide)are the top two sites where children aged five to 12 spend their time. Around 65 percent of children choose YouTube as their primary source of entertainment, while 55 percent choose Netflix. Simultaneously, according to Forbes, cable networks such as Nickelodeon are losing significant portions of their audience – approximately 50% of its viewership between 2015 and 2020. While cable viewership is declining, the amount of time children spend on screens is increasing dramatically. They're simply downloading it from streaming platforms and applications such as YouTube or TikTok.

Another study discovered that approximately 55% of families would want two subscription-based streaming services (think two premium subscription services like Netflix and HBO Max). If businesses are to develop their streaming platforms and subsequently retain users, providing families with everything they need in one location is critical. When everyone is looking for something, streaming platforms must have something for everyone. That is especially true now, when individuals are cooped up at home trying to occupy themselves and their family members.

HBO Max, a platform most closely identified with adult-oriented television programming and films, has a more difficult time communicating the "family" message. AT&T CEO John Stankey told a virtual audience at a Wall Street Journal conference that part of Casey Bloys' new role as HBO and HBO Max content chief will be to figure out how to apportion content investment across the family. While HBO has ordered teen-oriented programming such as Euphoria and the upcoming Generation, Cartoon Network (and shows such as Sesame Street) will almost certainly have a stronger presence on HBO Max.

WarnerMedia is not the only company attempting to make sense of it. Apple announced today a multi-year collaboration with Skydance Animation, which will include feature films and family-friendly television programming. YouTube stated that its YouTube Kids app now has over 35 million weekly users and that it is offering parents more control over what their children may see within the app. Netflix has a Tim Burton-directed Wednesday Addams series that is sure to appeal to tween and teen audiences. Finally, ViacomCBS will debut its Paramount Plus streaming service next week, which will include a discussion on how Nickelodeon and family programming fit into the company's plan.

WarnerMedia also possesses the necessary tools to be a market leader in the children's and family segments. Cartoon Network is a veritable goldmine of intellectual property. Add in Sesame Street, Looney Toons, and the United States' streaming rights to the Studio Ghibli collection, and there's plenty for children and families to enjoy. That's in addition to Warner Bros. Pictures and the HBO series. WarnerMedia's sole remaining challenge with HBO Max is disseminating that message. Again, families understand exactly what they're receiving with Netflix and Disney Plus; what they're getting with HBO Max isn't necessarily as clear.

From Your Site Articles