How Feminism Has Turned Against Itself

How Feminism Has Turned Against Itself

Feminism has turned from a noble fight for equality into a partisan weapon.

721
How Feminism Has Turned Against Itself
Ebony Wilson

The definition of “feminism”, according to Merriam-Webster, is "the theory of the political, economic, and social equality of the sexes." By this explanation, every person with whom I associate would identify with that philosophy. Equal rights, equal opportunity. It seems pretty simple, and it really should be very effortless to identify as a feminist.

But alas, it has become so much more complicated than just supporting equal rights. There is ample evidence that feminism is no longer about the battle against oppression the movement once represented; at least not according to the more feminist news outlets and politicians. In my view, this has become more evident in the last few years, and the new, partisan version came to light during election season. Feminism has turned into a way to advance Democratic agendas, under a shield of nobility by claiming to be fighting for civil rights.

The movement, at one point, had a purpose, one that every decent person could get behind. Feminism was a fight for women's suffrage and trying to elevate women in world to prominence never before seen. Feminism and its founders left a lasting impact, and this past year we nearly had our first female President. In recent years, however, feminism undermined itself through hypocritical ideas perpetuated by different feminists and organizations.

Self-proclaimed feminists and the more feminist news outlets have had only selective praise towards women with certain agendas, rather than all women that are entering uncharted positions of power. Feminism has become less about empowering women of our country, but is now about pushing agendas some consider to "pro-women".

A prime example I saw during the divisive election season was the coverage of Democratic candidate Hillary Clinton versus Trump’s final campaign manager Kellyane Conway. On November 8th, 2016 Hillary Clinton and her team spent election day and night under aliteral glass ceiling. This story became all the rage when it broke in October, and would have honestly been pretty cool had it turned out the way she wanted it.

Nevertheless, Trump won, and coverage was bitter. Clinton already had stories about breaking through one of the toughest and largest glass ceilings. Kellyane Conway, however, does not. Her only praise came from Fox News and other right-leaning sites like the Daily Wire, Daily Caller, and the infamous Breitbart. But her lack of media attention and praise from feminist groups does not change what she represents as a female in politics.

She was the FIRST female to be appointed to managing a GOP Presidential campaign. She is the only woman to ever victoriously manage a presidential campaign for any party. She managed to navigate a political sea of monsters and finish off the most insane campaign battle by getting a man with zero political experience into the highest office of the land. Those are both glass ceilings this talented woman broke through that the media and Feminist groups often ignored. Instead of embracing the Republican females, feminists have pushed away ideas that the majority does not find fitting for them.

Because Trump was the "anti-woman" candidate that wants to defund Planned Parenthood because of abortions, there will be no glass ceiling stories about his campaign manager. Conway will not have op-eds written about her by the Huffington Post or Slate. Instead, she will be attacked for association with Trump. Sexism has no political party, but is only addressed by feminists in regards to conservatives.

This new idea of selective praise was possibly most evident when the Women's March on DC occurred. This was one of the largest marches in the country’s history, anda female anti-abortion group was bannedfrom attending as part of the march. A pro-life women’s group banned from the…Women’s March?

Are pro-choice women not valid women in the eyes of a feminist march? Seeing that headline earlier this year blew my mind to know end. Are women not allowed to have certain opinions according to feminists? How is this empowering to women? It simply is not. This is a huge problem in embracing the label of “feminist.” As long as there is a partisan bias in a movement like that, not everyone will take it seriously.

There is not only a problem with modern feminism and its double standards towards conservative, but many feminists push faulty information. Wonder Woman was the topic of much discussion after it was reported that Gal Godat was paid less than Henry Cavill.

However, this claim was proven false, and she was not underpaid despite the amount of money the movie has made. The wage gap myth is often perpetuated in different ways, but economics and facts almost always prove there is no sexist difference in pay rates.

Pushing false information like this around in support of some agenda that does not need to exist. Funneling falsities around to push a discriminatory agenda does no help to the movement. Feminism must be factual for people to respect it; fake stories and numbers get reactions and attention and tend to be pushed out for that reason. It is not helpful, and fake information must be shut down.

Further in politics, we see more double standards about progressive and conservative women. Clinton blamed misogyny for her loss and many people agreed. Had Handel lost, could she have blamed misogyny? The Huffington Post even admitted that women winning big only applies to Democrats. How can anyone sit here and say that a woman can even be “anti-women”.

A woman that broke a glass ceiling by being the first GOP representative elected from Georgia into Congress is a woman all feminists should admire. Handel represents a new era in American politics that places women at the top in important positions. Handel is a woman, and she therefore represents a large win for women in politics. She may not represent all women equally, but she embodies a new type of culture around women.

I have yet to see any embrace of many women in power that do not fit inside the new feminist box. Feminism clearly still wants women in power, but only certain women with certain ideals.

Feminists have not embraced:

Karen Handel.

Kellyane Conway.

Betsy DeVos.

Ann Coulter.

Ivanka Trump, who is arguably the most powerful woman in the country.

Marine Le Pen.

Sarah Huckabee.

Tomi Lahren.

All these women are powerful, and could not have been in these types of positions just a few decades earlier. Yet, because of their conservative opinions, they will not get a glass ceiling story on CNN. They will not be praised for their efforts in feminist sections of popular websites. They will not be invited to speak at feminist rallies or "women's marches". Instead, feminism turns to out of touch celebrities like Katy Perry to speak out for them.

Feminism has turned into a fight for rights people already have. Despite Tomi Lahren being pro-choice and sticking her neck out on a conservative network, she is still ridiculed by feminists. Feminism looks up to a very progressive figure in Ellen, but since Lahren is a Republican, she is not “pro-women." Nobody wanted to Marine Le Pen to win, despite her opportunity to become the first female President of France.

On the contrary, feminists praised Hillary Clinton for what she represented to women by losing a presidential election. The double standard against conservative women is quite obvious and needs to be recognized by everyone, or the feminist movement will continue to crumble under its own hypocrisy.

Ivanka Trump is undoubtedly the most influential woman in the country right now, and if the goal is to be pro-woman, you should support the fact that she can influence our President so easily. But instead, we have a complete opposition, despite her support for Planned Parenthood and attempt to help the organization.

Ivanka has her own agenda, and it most certainly involves helping the women of this country. Just because she is the daughter of a Republican President does not mean she is not pro-women. The Trump child has the opportunity to put on a good face for the women of this country.

Feminism has turned from a movement that fights for women into a movement that puts women in a box. Powerful women that step outside this box are attacked by media outlets and "feminists" alike. The examples are astounding, and the hypocrisy is alive. Feminism has a new agenda, and it is geared specifically towards helping the Democratic party.

"Feminism" is eating itself alive, and the more it does so, the more free-thinking people will move away from the label. Supporting women and getting smart women into powerful roles in our country cannot be a partisan issue. There can be no agenda. You do not have to support all their ideas, but talking about women achieving things unseen should be credited on both sides of the aisle.