How College Sports Changed My Life

How College Sports Changed My Life

Why wouldn't you want to play your sport and earn a degree?

165
How College Sports Changed My Life

Little kids playing sports often look up to their athletes they see on TV whether it's college sports or national sports. Throughout my childhood, I played various sports from softball, soccer, volleyball, gymnastics, basketball, and eventually cheerleading. While playing those sports, I always looked up to people older than me playing my favorite sport. Never in a million years would I think I would be going to college and getting paid to get an education, and also continue playing the sport I love. It's been one semester, and there are so many pros of college sports that outweigh the cons.

1. I automatically get 20+ friends:

I applied for a college where I knew a handful of people. Months later, I was added into a Facebook group with 30 other teammates. By the first day of school, I knew at least one person in every class, and always had someone to sit with in the dining hall. I never have to worry about walking into a classroom and not knowing anyone. With these teammates, I eventually was introduced to their friends, and their friends introduced me to their friends. All from one single team, I feel included everywhere I go.

2. There's no way I could skip any classes:

No mom, of course, I would never skip a class. But if I ever wanted to, it would be fairly difficult. This to me is a really nice benefit, because obviously all of my classes are important. I couldn't quite attend practice in the morning, and then skip class when I've already been on campus. It's a good motivator to have people to go to class with and motivate you to go.

3. I am so much more motivated to try in school:

In order to play a sport, most athletes need to keep a good GPA. It's a crappy reason to be taken out of a team event because of bad grades. I have other people in the same boat as me. It's nice having my teammates because everyone has strengths and weaknesses in subjects, so it is easy to be able to find someone who can tutor you.

4. Early morning practices:

Hear me out here. With early morning practices, there comes having the rest of the day to attend classes, work, nap, or do homework. While waking up early sucks, it doesn't suck waking up early to be with your best friends for two hours. My days feel longer because I start them earlier than noon. By noon, I've already been so, so productive.

5. Coaches are built in parents:

Many students travel really far to be able to play their sport. Meaning, they're away from their parents. Coaches are there to not only support you with your sport, but they can help you with any challenge you're facing. I find myself in my coaches office at least once a week whether it's venting about something I'm dealing with, or needing help with something school related. Your coaches will always love you like their own kids, and they're a fantastic resource away from home.

6. Training facilities and a gym membership:

In high school, we never got a trainer that was able to tend to our team and our team only. It's nice to be able to learn more about your trainer, while they learn about you and the way you perform as an athlete and knowing your injury history to prevent new ones. I also used to pay $20 for a gym, but the cool thing about many colleges is that they have free gym memberships. If you have to workout for your sport, it's much easier doing it in a nice facility.

7. Playing your sport and getting paid via scholarships:

Personally, I'd much rather watch college sports than sports at the national level. College students have a drive to want to earn a degree and it's just a plus that they get to play their sport.

If you are in high school playing a sport, I highly suggest taking it to the college level. There are so many fantastic reasons to why you should continue on. Why wouldn't you want to play your sport and earn a degree?