How To Choose The Right College

How To Choose The Right College

a.k.a. how to not regret your college decision later...

227
How To Choose The Right College
U.S. News

It's that important time of the year again for high school seniors! Most of their applications have been submitted and some have already received admission responses. As a college freshman going into my second semester, I wish I could have gone back to the decision making process. As much as I hate to admit, it turns out that UNCC isn't for me. This time last year, I was torn between two schools: UNCC and Appalachian State. It turns out that I'm considering on transferring schools. This isn't an article telling you to choose one school over another, but the best advice I can give to all high school seniors who are having trouble trying to pick a school is to go with their instinct. Deep down, you know which is the right school for you. Here are some tips on solidifying your college decision.

1. Visit the school on a regular day.

You should have visited all the schools you applied to, but just to secure your decision, visit the school again on an average day because it will give you a feel of how it will really feel to attend that school.

2. Ask students who go to that school about their experience.

Each person adjusts to change differently. Find people similar to you and see what they think of the school. Ask people completely different than you and see how they feel about their experience as well.

3. Pick a school with good academics.

You're most likely only going to go to to college once, so make it count! The main reason you're going to college is to get that diploma, so choose a school that will challenge you to work hard.

4. Most importantly, choose a school that has your major.

You don't have to come into college decided on a major, but try to have an idea of what you like. I made the wrong decision of attending a school that doesn't even have the program I'd like to pursue.

5. Choose a college far enough from home, but in a place you're comfortable.

I made the mistake of choosing a college too close to home that made me feel "too comfortable." College should be full of new, exciting experiences. The transition may seem scary at first, but it's a good sort of scared. Go to school in a place that will allow you to grow, but a place that can become your second home.

6. Find a school that has a good vibe.

If you don't like the atmosphere of a place, then how can you succeed? Get a feel for the people and the places on and around campus. Campus culture is crucial. You should be able to feel connected to your college's community. Also, choose a school that offers activities you enjoy. If you want to go to a school with a great football game and large tailgates then go for it! If Greek life is important to you, then choose a school with a prominent Greek community. If you want to go to a small or large school, then definitely take that into consideration when deciding which school to attend.

Ultimately, like the popular '80s song, listen to your heart! Everything will figure it's way out. Good luck!