How Being A Child Of Divorce Impacted My Life

It might suck but, it could be worse.

291
Martha Donnelly's Photo

In the 19 years that I have been on this earth, I have experienced a lot of things. I have learned so much that sometimes I forget how I learned certain things or certain lessons. When I was three years old my parents got separated. Now you might think this is weird for me to share this but I felt like I needed to get my thoughts out there. I have basically lived my whole life with divorced parents. I don't ever really remember my parents being together which sucks let me just say.

I love weddings, I really do but now thinking about it... it is sad that so many children have to experience divorce in their lifetimes. The fact that I have dealt with having divorced parents sometimes makes me not like weddings because I think deep down inside of me I have a fear of getting married. I have a fear of what if I marry a guy who doesn't end up being the one. It is not my parent's faults but I think because I have had divorced parents for so long that I the fear slowly started.

A lot of things have affected me because of the status of my parents. I'm not like an ordinary kid. I had two sets of parents which I am honestly forever grateful for. As much as I love all my parents I hate the fact that my parents had to get divorced for this to happen. I grew up having to switch houses every weekend. It was always a shuffle of children and their stuff. I spent holidays at different houses each year. People would tell me how cool it must be to have two Christmases and two Birthdays but in all honesty, it's not. I never got to celebrate a holiday with my actual family. It was either my father's side or my mother's side. Thanksgiving and Christmas were spent at my Mother's house one year and my Father's the next. It was a never ending cycle of switching between houses and families.

Over time the fact that my parents were no longer together got easier. I became more independent and it helped me become the person I am today. I have learned that not everything is meant to be. I no longer take anything for granted and appreciate the life I was given. Although having divorced parents sucks I have been able to make the most of it. Having step parents really changed my life. This might not be the case for everyone but for me it is. My stepfather and stepmother have helped shape me into who I am today. The fact that they never had to help raise me but they chose to makes me forever grateful.

If life gives you divorced parents make the best of the situation. It might suck but there's a lot of people who have it worse than you.