The Hottest Festivals Of Summer 2016

The Hottest Festivals Of Summer 2016

Why you need to go and who will be performing.

10
The Hottest Festivals Of Summer 2016
Bass Feeds The Soul

Summer is almost here at DePaul University, and many of us are wondering how exactly we will spend our summer in the city. If you are anything like me, I am sure that you will be checking out one of the many, incredible lineups at one of the city's famous music festivals! Chicago offers a lively, vibrant music scene throughout the year, but especially during the summer months of June, July, and September. Let's take a look at each concert and music festivals that you need to know about!

1. Spring Awakening Music Festival

The beautiful month of June is full of opportunities for you and your friends to check out. Spring Awakening Music Festival is one of my favorites and has been a pillar of success for the electronic dance music community in the city. Held at Addams/Medill Park from June 10 to 12, Spring Awakening is an EDM music festival with all the big-name DJs and electronic groups. Spring Awakening Music Festival would definitely be classified as a "rave" music festival. I encourage you to check out their website if you would like information on this fest! This year's Spring Awakening will feature Zeds Dead, Borgore, Dada Life, Crystal Castles, RL Grime, and many more talented musicians!

2. Grant Park Music Festival

Grant Park Music Festival is a free lakefront classical music festival that spans over a period of 10 weeks. This festival may attract an older crowd or maybe just a mature teenager with a taste for classical music. The series kicks off June 15 and will last until Aug. 20. The Grant Park Music Festival was first started in 1931 in an effort to boost morale of Chicagoans dealing with the Great Depression. This tradition has lasted long into the 21st century and will continue to bring classical music fans for many years to come. The Grant Park Orchestra will be opening this awesome music festival on June 15.

3. The Smokers Club

The Smokers Club will be taking the Concord Music Hall this summer. This concert will feature some of the greatest names in R&B and hip-hop music. Artists include G Herbo, Smoke DZA, The Underachievers, and Cam'ron. Concord Music Hall is just blocks away from the DePaul University's Lincoln Park campus and makes a great night out for anyone. Everyone can attend because the show is for all ages! I will be personally attending this show and I cannot wait!

4. VANS Warped Tour

If alternative music is more your scene, then you must check out Vans Warped Tour. Vans Warped Tour is a yearly music festival held in Tinley Park, Illinois. Warped Tour features popular alternative artists and is home to a variety of different musicians. This year's headliners include Waka Flocka Flame, Good Charlotte, The Summer Set, Sum 41, and Yellowcard! This kind of music is sure to make you feel like you're back in the 2000s, but definitely in a good way.

5. Drake and Future

On July 26 at the United Center, Drake and Future will be collaborating for their "Summer Sixteen" tour. This show is highly anticipated throughout the Chicagoland area, and tickets will sell extremely fast! Click here to find out more information on how you can score tickets. Drake's new album, "Views," both surprised and shocked his fans while Future's "Low Life," featuring The Weeknd, has been one of the hottest hits of the summer, so far.

6. Lollapalooza

The one, the only, the overpriced Lollapalooza will be taking Chicago by storm this July with a great lineup! This year's lineup will include Radiohead, The Red Hot Chili Peppers, Lana Del Rey, Flume, and Jane's Addiction. Lollapalooza offers a great variety of music. It would have to be considered the best and most well-known music festival in Chicago. The four-day festival always features the most famous and elite of the music industry. The only thing that I can criticize Lollapalooza on is the extraordinarily high ticket prices, which come close to $400. I am certain that if you decide to go, you will end up seeing more than your fair share of young girls reppin' that flower crown, and an inevitable amount of drunken shenanigans.

7. North Coast Music Festival

North Coast is a unique festival, and it takes place in Chicago this September. North Coast Music Festival is a three-day music and arts festival that features the best of the Chicagoland electronic, folk, alternative, and rock scenes. This year's lineup will include Logic, Zed, Bassnectar, Odesza, and many more great artists that have yet to be announced! North Coast will take place Sept. 2-4, and tickets are now on sale.

I hope my article gave you guys a full calendar of concerts and festivals for the summer of 2016! Get out there and explore the greatest city in the world -- Chicago. Stay safe and have fun!