Hotel Mumbai Affected How I Think About Politics

Even though I said it above, there is a spoiler warning for anyone who hasn't watched this movie. Ok now to the actual movie. The movie itself was decent to upper level class movie. The characters were well developed and as the movie went on, we learned more about them as people who actually were there during the horrifying 2008 Mumbai attacks. The movie showed the raw emotion of the people who were involved in the attacks and the fear that was in the city that night. It was truly a great representation of the whole attack that took place due to the powerful acting and portrayals the actors did.

But this movie will have some consequences, good and bad. One of the good ones will be that this movie accurately represented how the Indian bureaucracy has evolved from 2008 to 2019. In the movie, the Indian government was shown to be slow in how they reacted to the news of the terrorist attacks and how it took the special forces army over 24 hours to get to the civilians trapped in the Taj Hotel. This was one of the main reasons the attack spread so much fear, there was no backup or armed forces the people could turn too in order to diffuse the situation.

However, one of the reasons this movie might have negative consequences is due to the rising fear of Islam. This movie was centered around the plot that Muslims attacked an Indian Hotel for religious purposes. In the movie, the attackers were told to attack innocent people and destroy everything they saw by an unnamed and unseen person who continually used religion as a focal point to bring hell to the city of Mumbai. While this was a correct representation, the current political climate around the world is so focused on the distrust of Muslims. This movie is only enhancing the idea that these people can't be trusted at all. This is not what our world needs, especially when we all need to learn to trust each other instead of hating each other. At the end of the day, this movie was not needed or at least should have shown that all muslims are not like this.

The political climate of the world can change very fast and it can often be difficult on some people. This movie shows that terrorist seemed to be hypnotized or controlled into performing these acts under the pretense of god while those who fought back and were saved were heroes. And not to take away from these people as they were heroes for putting their lives before others, the effect of this movie will only cause more people to turn away from working together with Muslims but will also keep enhancing the stereotypes that were presented.