Hopes For Raven's 2018 Offseason

Hopes For Raven's 2018 Offseason

My advice to The Baltimore Ravens regarding how they can improve.

106
Hopes For Raven's 2018 Offseason
Pintrest

This past NFL season was quite the rollercoaster. Throughout all the ups and downs, the defense stood tall up until the last play of the season; which sadly was an Andy Dalton game-winning touchdown which eliminated The Ravens from playoff contention. All Ravens fans know that this franchise has always been built around a tough, hard-hitting defense. However, Baltimore has never had significant issues on the offensive end until recently. With quarterback Joe Flacco not 100% healthy, an overall weak group of receivers, and no consistency with the running back position; the Baltimore offense has been hard to watch for the past few years. Ever since the miracle super bowl run in 2013 they have yet to make a major splash in the postseason. I credit the slacking offense to the surprising loss of Ray Rice, injuries to offensive linemen, and underperformance from wide receivers. Here are some of my ideas for how The Ravens can improve going into next season and become a powerhouse in the NFL once again.

1. Draft Wide Receivers in Mid-Rounds

It is no secret that The Ravens made a mistake drafting WR Breshad Perriman in the first round of the 2015 NFL draft. However, The Ravens are not completely to blame for the bust. In recent years, there has not been a dominant WR drafted in the first round since AJ Green and Julio Jones were drafted in 2011. Since then, some first-round pick wide receivers were Justin Blackmon (JAX, 2012), Tavon Austin (RAMS, 2013), Sammy Watkins (BUFF, 2014) (picked before Odell Beckham Jr.), Amari Cooper (OAK, 2015) and Corey Coleman (CLE, 2016). This shows that the first wide receiver taken off the board isn't always the best one. The Ravens can find mid-round talent to make an immediate impact on the struggling offense like Adam Thielen did in Minnesota. In addition to adding wide receivers, Baltimore also would be wise to draft a dominant offensive tight end. Joe Flacco loves dumping the ball off to the tight end because he is the biggest target usually in the middle of the field. The Ravens need to draft a highly athletic tight end who isn't necessarily known for blocking; like an Evan Engram or O.J Howard.

2. Draft Offensive Line Early

Injuries have plagued the NFL since it started in 1920. However, I cannot help but to feel as if Baltimore's players get injured more than any other team. Especially the offensive line. Now I know they probably don't have more injuries than most other teams, but as a fan it seems to be all that happens. Due to the high risk of the position, there is a huge need for many backup linemen that can replace starters that go down. Ravens pro-bowl guard Marshal Yanda was injured very early into the 2017 season; immediately I knew the impact the injury would have on the team. The Ravens then needed to start players at their unnatural position and pick up linemen off of waivers. I would very much like to see Baltimore add a nice padding of linemen because their time will come.

3. Make A Splash In Free Agency

This is where it gets tough for Baltimore. Due to Joe Flacco's extremely high paycheck, they do not have much flexibility with cap room. The Ravens landed veteran WR Jeremy Maclin last offseason, which was thought to be a great signing at the time. However, it did not work as planned. He had a rough season filled with injuries. Learning from past mistakes, Baltimore cannot invest in another veteran wide receiver hoping he will fill the gap that Steve Smith Sr. left when he retired. I would rather The Ravens sign multiple unproven wide receivers with chips on their shoulders for cheap. The key to success is learning from one's mistakes.

Baltimore Ravens management, if you happen to be reading this I hope you take my advice into consideration.

P.S: I am available to be the GM