Hope Solo And USWNT Both Sink To New Lows At The Hands of Sweden

"I think we played a bunch of cowards. The best team did not win today. I strongly, firmly believe that."

11
NY Times

"Marry me Hope! I'm solo!"

Those were the words I kept on screaming off the top of my lungs when I was 16 and first saw you play for the U.S. Women's National Soccer Team at the 2011 FIFA Women's World Cup in Brazil. Fast forward five years later, I am no longer belting that phrase. And no, it's not because you got married in 2012 to Jerramy Stevens, a former NFL tight end who is twice my size that could flatten me faster than a steamroller. I am, quite frankly, just very disappointed in your conduct. It's not because of your blunder against Columbia in the last group stage game of the 2016 Olympics for women's soccer. It's not because of your ostentatious and somewhat juvenile tweets you made about Brazil regarding the Zika epidemic. It is simply because of the comments you made toward the Swedish Women's National soccer team after the USWNT's shock defeat to the former.

Before I elaborate, I want to provide a quick summary of the first quarter final match of the Women's Soccer portion of the 2016 Rio Olympics. Sweden dumped out the American favorites on penalties four-three after a one-one tie after extra time. Sweden took the lead in the second half through a clinical finish from substitute Stina Blackstenius. Alex Morgan equalized for the USWNT in the 77' with a nifty finish of her own. Afterwards, the game remained deadlocked until the end of extra time, which saw the USA dominate in possession and shots, whereas Sweden chose to sit back, defend and physically impose themselves on the former, accumulating 15 fouls and two yellow cards. In the ensuing penalty shootout, Alex Morgan and Christen Press failed to convert their penalties, ultimately leading to Sweden's surprise victory over the U.S. Women's National Team.

Controversial as her history shows, Hope Solo took it upon herself to add more unwanted attention to herself. After the loss, she had the audacity to state, Yes Hope, the USA was by far the better team in terms of shots and possession compared to the Swedes. Yes, it sucks to lose against a team that you could have and should have beaten.

However, that's what soccer is about. What I love about the game so much is it's unpredictability. Past statistics and results mean nothing, once both teams take the field for 90 minutes, anything, and I mean, anything, can happen. I can not begin to tell you how many times my team, whether it's youth club soccer, my college team, indoor soccer or U20/23, should have one against foes we were better than. However, like Sweden, those teams were able to win because 1. they had a game plan, 2. they stuck to it and 3. the losing side has only themselves to blame.

I honestly believe Sweden did not play like a bunch of cowards. While they did sit back and wait to exploit potential counter attacks, which frustrates me to no end, it was effective. Yes, Hope, it's not an ideal strategy. I, too, love vibrant, attacking football. However, tactics will always have a say with the end result; credit should be given where credit is due. Adopting a defensive approach is not cowardly at all: teams have been able to win off of such an approach that is smart and frustrating (the later for both sides).

Teams such as Chelsea FC and the Portugal National Team have won the UEFA Champions League and UEFA Euros as a result of these tactics. Iceland's foundation in the 2016 Euros is similar to the one Sweden incorporated against the USWNT. In my opinion, you're only a coward in soccer if you refuse to go into tackles or walls for your team. There are other factors, but I'm not going to digress. As much as I love the USWNT, they are accountable for their premature exit. The finishing quality from the players, for the most part were, poor on the day. It's simply not good enough at the level they're competing at, and to convert one out of 24 chances is unacceptable for the number one ranked team in FIFA Women's Soccer.

Jill Ellis's decision to sub on Megan Rapinoe, in my opinion, proved disastrous. While she is a very skilled player and can whip in some beautiful crosses and corners, Rapinoe was simply not fit enough, especially since she spent a total of 252 days out with an ACL injury. Despite missing a crucial penalty, I believe Press would have had a much bigger impact if she was brought into the game at an earlier stage. While not too many mistakes were made, the two aforementioned ones, once again in my opinion, proved costly. I hate to see any team of the USA lose, but on the day I felt Sweden thoroughly deserved to go through. I'm proud of the fight they showed through this tournament, but instead of blaming Sweden's defensive approach for their loss, Hope Solo and the rest of the USWNT need to take accountability for their latest loss and premature exit from a major competition. Once again, teams such as Chelsea, Portugal and Iceland were successful off strategies reliant on counter attacking football, but other factors came from poor finishing from Bayern Munich, France and England respectively at various points in time.

Soccer aside, I once again want to touch upon Hope Solo. As a professional, one is expected to conduct him or herself in a proper manner no matter the situation. I understand frustration or impulse can factor hugely in a breech of conduct. With your history of controversy such as, but not limited to, the 2014 misdemeanor assaults and juvenile Zika tweets, negative spotlight should be the last thing on anyone's mind. Hope, I do not hate you, but I feel that you need to spend time developing character. While you already know this, I should remind you that there are plenty of young women and children who look up to and adore you. Whether you like it or not, it is your duty to set a positive example to those around. Not only for the youth, but also as one of the stalwarts and images of the United States Soccer Federation. Do not take steps to tarnish your legacy over a bout of frustration. Character is huge, and I have no doubt you will be take steps to continue developing it regardless of status and age.