The 5 Things that Make Californians Homesick

5 Things Californians Miss When They Go To College Somewhere Else

A collection of the things that make Southern Californians homesick.

107
https://www.pexels.com/photo/beach-beautiful-california-clouds-358383/

If you're from California and go to college somewhere else, these are the things you're going to miss most:

Tacos... like the Authentic Ones

https://kirbiecravings.com/the-taco-stand/

If you have lived on the East Coast your whole life and believe that your Mexican food is genuine Mexican food, I'm so sorry. You can't travel ten miles through Southern California without passing a Mexican restaurant run by a kind Hispanic family that serves fresh carne asada and makes their guacamole from scratch. Moe's Southwest Grill? Fake. El Ponce? Fake. Chipotle? Well, Chipotle's actually not that bad, but every time I think about Fidel's or the Encinitas Taco Stand down in San Diego, my mouth waters.

The ​Better​ Ocean

https://www.dreamstime.com/eroded-coastline-pacific-ocean-sunny-evening-santa-cruz-california-sunset-views-pacific-ocean-dramatic-image103972928

The Atlantic Ocean is pretty much the same thing as the Pacific Ocean right? Wrong. The Pacific is so warm and inviting and the sun and marine layer are always out beckoning you towards the water as you drive down the I-5. Plus, there's something about watching the sun disappear from an orange and pink sky past the horizon that's so majestic.

Having Literally Anything Within 20 Minutes of You

https://socialecologies.wordpress.com/2017/04/16/the-dense-city-creativity-innovation-and-the-future/

Unlike other areas of the country, Southern California is super densely populated. For this reason, the region is filled with shops and services, so much so that nearly anything you could possibly need (dry cleaner, barber, doctor's office, SAT testing center, escape the room, obscure sushi burrito shop, etc.) is usually reachable by an uber costing under $15.

The Real Bro Handshake

https://tenor.com/view/awkward-handshake-obama-trudeau-nieto-gif-5640422

When it comes to handshakes, California is like the United States with measurements. The U.S. decided "Hey we know you're all using the metric system but we are going to be difficult and make up these things called inches." The classic casual California handshake is essentially just a horizontal high-five followed by a fist bump, and it's in our blood to greet people this way; however, the rest of the United States (and honestly part of Northern California probably does this too) goes for the horizontal high five but then interlocks fingers and drops the handshake. Needless to say, this difference has caused me to have some awkward encounters.

Randomly Running into Famous People

Sean Woytowitz

I feel like this one is a stereotype for Southern Californians, and if it is, then it's not wrong. Almost everyone I know from Southern California has had some sort of run -n with a celebrity. I used to work at the Trader Joe's in my neighborhood and during my last shift there I ran into Brian Baumgartner, the actor who plays Kevin on "The Office" (stalker photo pictured above). My sister and her friends (who live in Malibu) have run into the likes of Adam Sandler, Drake, and Jaden Smith. I guess we just miss the fame *hair flip*.