I Sat Down With A NYC Fitness Instructor To Talk About Coronavirus's Impact On The Wellness Industry

I Sat Down (Virtually) With Hollis Tuttle To Talk About Coronavirus's Impact On The Wellness Industry

Just because coronavirus has greatly impacted the wellness industry doesn't mean wellness stops.

39198

If you're anything like me, your weekly fitness classes are a huge part of your routine. They keep me fit, healthy, and sane. Honestly, these classes help my mental health stay in tip-top shape just as much as they help my physical health.

Due to the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic, gyms and fitness studios are facing temporary closure. Yes, this means my personal routine is thrown a curveball, but this also means the wellness industry is one of many that is looking at unemployment and hardship. Do I miss my Monday spin class? Of course. But do the wellness professionals whose worlds were flipped upside down have a lot more to overcome than a slight change of routine? Absolutely. Thankfully, if anyone can prove the ultimate flexibility, it's the wellness industry.

I'm talking to wellness professionals to learn how COVID-19 has impacted their lives, as well as how they're adjusting how they teach to make quarantine a little healthier for all of us. Today, I chatted with Hollis Tuttle, a fitness instructor in New York City.

What do you teach? 

I currently teach group fitness for two studios in NYC: CITY ROW (in-studio and for their digital platform "CITY ROW Go") as well as Orangetheory Fitness East 39th. CITY ROW combines strength training with an indoor row machine to provide a high-intensity sweat, low-impact burn, and total body results. OTF is a one-hour, full-body workout that focuses on heart rate-based training.

I've been teaching for 10 years now. In that time, I've also taught indoor cycling, Barry's Bootcamp, Pure Barre, Body Pump, and running at Mile High Run Club.

Why did you start teaching? 

Group fitness is in my blood. When I was young, I would go to jazzercise classes with my mom and do Jane Fonda's workout videos with my friends. However, I didn't start teaching group fitness until about 10 years ago while living in San Diego, CA. I started teaching because I saw it as the most proactive way to help people live more healthful lives.

What do you love most about teaching? 

I love being a fitness instructor because it provides me with the opportunity to help people gain confidence through movement, which I believe carries over into all other aspects of life. There is also something really powerful about a group of people working toward a common goal together — it fully lights me up!

What is the current state of your studios? 

Both studios are currently closed but have plans to open when it is considered safe to do so.

What virtual classes are you offering? How can people find those classes? 

I teach at least five CITY ROW classes a week on Zoom and one OTF class per week on @OTFe39 IG Live from my studio apartment. I always post my weekly schedule on my Instagram account (@hollismtuttle).

For CITY ROW classes, register for classes via the CITY ROW website. All CR classes are 45 minutes and bodyweight only. We actually don't do any rowing.

For those wanting more individual attention, I also offer virtual private training and rowing sessions as well.

What is your biggest takeaway regarding COVID-19? 

I used to think of myself as a "strong" individual. As a competitive triathlete, I honed both my mental and physical strength and learned to rely on my ability to persevere through challenges. However, now I think of myself as more resilient. I have been able to bounce back into shape, if you will, after being bent, compressed, and stretched in unforeseen ways. Honestly, I am thankful for the new skills that I have had to learn because I now have a much more diverse tool-kick to pull from — professionally and personally.

On another note, I am incredibly grateful to be a small part of a truly amazing community. It has been incredible to see how the fitness community (NYC and beyond) has pulled together in an effort to help support those in need.

What long-term effects do you see COVID-19 having on the wellness industry? 

Although I believe that live group classes will always be popular, I think that virtual classes and training sessions will continue to be in demand and that new technology will be developed to support the growth of high-quality content. I also foresee a lot of crossover between the two styles.

What is one thing you want the world to know about the wellness industry, especially in light of COVID-19? 

A majority of us go into fitness because we innately want to help people live their best life. Please continue to show up for us and trust that we will always be in your corner, supporting you, in the best way that we know how.

If you are a wellness professional interested in sharing your story, please email lily.moe@theodysseyonline.com.

Get ready for your home workout with our favorite home gym picks!

As an Amazon partner, Odyssey may earn a portion of qualifying sales.