17 Things You Need For Your Home Gym

17 Things You Need To Turn Your Living Room Into A Planet Fitness

The living room isn't JUST for Netflix binges.

427

While coronavirus (COVID-19) is forcing Americans inside their homes and out of their normal routines, gyms across the country find themselves empty. There's not a 5:30 a.m. spin class full of sweaty participants, or a sunset yoga session ready to calm down the day. Instead, individuals are turning to virtual fitness classes, attempting to create some sort of routine in a season that is anything but normal. Now, living room floors across the country are turning into home gyms in between Netflix binges.

While we all have a few basic things lying around our homes, chances are high that our home gyms need a little bit of love (and two-day shipping) to feel fully ready to take on our latest workout.

1. A non-slip yoga mat

A necessity, no matter what kind of workout you're looking for.

2. A variety of hand weights

Maybe those soup cans are getting tired (or eaten) and you need to upgrade to real weights. We've all been there — it's a good change!

3. Resistance bands

Time for some booty work. Then you can sit back on the couch and breathe, don't worry.

4. A dry-fit towel

No, your bath towel won't work. Treat your workout like the real thing, with the real thing!

5. A basic medicine ball

Never underestimate the power of a medicine ball.

6. Yoga blocks

Your flying warrior needs some extra support — don't we all?

7. Jump ropes

If you're looking for some real cardio work, call your mom on the phone while jumping rope!

8. A kettlebell set

For the most dedicated home workouts, kettle bells will take your fitness plan to the next level.

9. A heavy-duty punching bag

Maybe it's time to expand the home gym to your garage, where you can hang that punching bag and get to work.

10. A balance ball

It's fun and it's great for your balance! A win-win!

11. A portable stationary bike

Maybe your desk job is at your kitchen table now — time to add a stationary bike under that table and peddle the day away.

12. A foam roller

You're going to roll out those sore muscles.

13. A pull-up bar

See, we're compact in our home gym! Hang a pull-up bar in your doorway and get to work.

14. An ab wheel

The abs are practically done!

15. A step platform

All those virtual aerobic workouts? They are that much better with a step platform.

16. A set of core sliders

Again with the six-pack.

17. Ankle weights

If anything, pace around your house with ankle weights on. At least you're moving.

No matter what your home workout looks like, moving your body (instead of slouching on the couch) is sure to help your physical and mental health during this time of social distancing.

As an Amazon Affiliate partner, Odyssey may earn a portion of qualifying sales.