The H&M Debacle

The H&M Debacle

If you live under a rock and aren't sure of what I'm talking about, I'll fill you in.
304

One of the biggest things in the news today is the H&M situation. If you live under a rock and aren't sure of what I'm talking about, I'll fill you in.

A few days ago, H&M came out with a new sweatshirt design and it said, "Coolest Monkey in the Jungle", okay, cool, but the part that started controversy was the fact that the hoodie was on a black child.

There were a bunch of diverse responses to the situation. Some people were opposed to the design because of obvious reasons, while others were okay with it because a lot of parents of different races/ethnicities refer to their children as "little monkeys". I tried to restrain myself from commenting too much on the issue because when it happened, I knew I wanted to write about it.

Though I do agree that a lot of parents refer to their kids as monkeys, I don't think it was in H&M's best interest to actually make a sweatshirt design of it AND place it on an African American model. We know now that it wasn't their intention to cause a stir, but I do think they should have been aware of the amount of backlash they would have received because, well, it's 2018 and it happens.

There have also been a couple famous people dropping H&M altogether. G-Eazy, for example, was just about to release a new line of clothing with the company but he ended that partnership after the release of this item. The Weeknd also cut his ties with the company.

According to numerous sources, the mother of the child was okay with the design, I would hope that she knew what her son was going to be modeling but I'm not too sure of the modeling business.

His mom said, “If I bought that jumper and put it on him and posted it on my pages, would that make me racist? I get pples opinion, but they are not mine,”

Since then, H&M has issued an apology and they've pulled the item from their inventory.

However, that apparently wasn't enough because some people in Africa went crazy in protesting and vandalized H&M stores to "prove a point".

But... nevermind, it's not my business.