History of the Rock: UT Edition

History of the Rock: UT Edition

"The Rock" receives a historical makeover by shedding over 2 tons of tradition

1963
History of the Rock: UT Edition

Since the 1960's, students and fans of the University of Tennessee have preserved one especially creative tradition: painting the Rock. This esteemed canvas of the campus has built up thousands of layers of paint over time, which is estimated to weigh over 98 tons in total! This past week, due to heat levels in Knoxville, around 2 to 3 tons of paint slid off the Rock according to WBIR News. That's 2 to 3 tons of UT history! The University of Tennessee Facebook account responded to concerned Vol fans and dedicated Rock painters that they are in possession of the paint and plan to preserve the historical art in some way (Vol fans everywhere breathe a sigh of relief).

So what's so special about a rock, you may ask? How about we let the Rock answer that question for you. Here are some of the best moments seen on the mighty cornerstone on UT's campus over the past decades.

Whether or not you've crossed painting the Rock off of your bucket list, every Vol appreciates the longstanding tradition. It's obvious that this "big rock on campus" has seen lots of big orange love over the past decades. From Drake references, to game day celebrations, to marriage proposals, to Lil Jon's face, Vol fans have kept the heart and culture of this tradition alive, and won't let a little heat stop them from covering the Rock with tons more paint. Rock on UT Fans!