Hispanic Heritage Month

Hispanic Heritage Month

A lil history and a few thoughts.

7015
Hispanic Heritage Month
Dianeliz Gonzalez

Hispanic Heritage month is here, and we are ready to celebrate!

What is this “Hispanic Heritage Month” you have been hearing about these days? (and you will probably hear about for a while!)

It is a yearly tradition that was enacted into law on August 17th of 1988, it was worked on by Presidents Lyndon Johnson and Ronald Reagan. It starts on September 15th all the way to October 15th and celebrates important anniversaries such as Mexico, Chile, Guatemala's among others, Independence days. But the entirety of the month is meant to celebrate the histories, cultures and contributions of American citizens whose ancestors came from various regions of the Caribbean, Central and South America, Mexico, and Spain.

So, how am I celebrating this month?

Well, it is important to note that not only my ancestors come from Puerto Rico, a Caribbean Island which is a commonwealth of the United States and part of this important celebration (you might note many contributions made by Puertorricans throughout history), but I come from the Island as well. It was not until I turned 18 I had made the decision to move to the United States to pursue my higher education studies.

So back to the question, it isn't hard to note I celebrate my heritage all year round. It is one of the first things you get to know about me as I introduce myself. It is that constant piece of information that follows me into basically any conversation I have. In college, I have found an astounding number of people sincerely interested in my culture. Well, as I write this, I am blasting Marc Anthony songs so all my neighbors enjoy them with me, maybe a little against the will of some, (but it is not quiet hours yet).

During this month, the Latino Student Association at Ohio State has a calendar full of activities, which include movie showings, cookouts, and other informational sessions around campus. It is a month where you are able to listen to songs in Spanish in various parts of campus, and people dancing and singing them. It is truly a magical month that reminds me I am not alone, I am not the only one, and I am certainly reminded to be proud of my culture and history and celebrate it with others as well.

¡Feliz mes de la Herencia Hispana!