13 Recipes Everyone Should Make This Hispanic Heritage Month

Hispanic Heritage Month is a time to celebrate the contributions, accomplishments, and positive influences of Hispanic Americans, along with the culture as a whole.

There are many activities and traditions to honor those who enhanced our communities and the United States. People show their support by hosting events, playing music, dancing, reading books, and watching movies or documentaries about Hispanic Americans and their achievements in modern history.

People also celebrate by making delicious food to share with their family and friends. Here are some recipes to enjoy this Hispanic Heritage Month.

1. Arroz Con Pollo​ (Costa Rica)

Costa Rican Arroz Con Pollo

This meal is common in several Latin American countries. Just combine Spanish rice with some mixed vegetables and baked chicken.

It makes a really tasty side dish, and is quite filling as well. Instead of veggies you can substitute lentils.

2. Chicken Enchilada Verdes (Mexico)

Enchiladas De Pollo

This is the most popular foods in Mexico and the United States. Just stuff corn tortillas with chicken and cheese. Then top with fresh diced tomatoes.

It makes a great appetizer that can be eaten with or without the green enchilada sauce.

3. Ropa Vieja or Shredded Beef in Creole Sauce (Cuba)

Ropa Vieja

This is a famous Cuban dish. Despite the name translating to "old clothes", it is a delicious meal. Just combine shredded beef with vegetables and tomato sauce combined with onions, bell peppers, garlic, and spices.

Serve it on bread or plain.

4. Refried Bean and Egg Tortillas ​(Honduras) 

Baleadas

In Central America, this dish is popular in Honduras. It is a tasty meal to have for breakfast. Add scrambled eggs, refried beans, and cheese to a corn tortilla.

This one will definitely make your day.

5. Shrimp Ceviche (Ecuador) 

Ceviche De Camarones

If you are not allergic to shrimp, this will satisfy your seafood cravings. Boil shrimp, and mix it with some red onions, lime juice, and cilantro to create this meal.

If you want a little citrus flavor, add some orange juice. It makes a nice side dish.

6. Sauteed Beef Tenderloin (Peru)

Lomo Saltado

This is a popular dish from Peru that was inspired by the cuisine from Asia. It is made by cooking stir-fried beef tenderloins. Then add yellow peppers, onion, garlic, tomatoes, and soy sauce.

It makes a nice meal, especially if you serve it with white rice.

7. Spanish Tortilla (Spain)

Tortilla Espanola

This breakfast dish originated from Spain and makes enough to share with everyone. It is an omelette made with eggs, potatoes and olive oil. For extra flavor you can add onions, salt and pepper.

Serve this one as an appetizer before dinner.

8. Empanadas (Argentina)

Empanadas

These are popular appetizers in countries like Argentina. They can also be served as a main dish. Place meat with cheese or vegetables in the dough, and then fold it over and bake.

Add different ingredients for new flavors and combinations.

9. Arepas (Venezuela)

Arepas

These appetizers originated in Venezuela. They are corn tortillas that are stuffed with meat, cheese, beans or avocado. Vegetables can be included as well.

Serve them as a sandwich or breakfast item.

10. Tajadas (Columbia) 

Tajadas

These appetizers, which started in Columbia, are fried ripe plantains that are usually served with chicken or pork. It goes well with a serving of Spanish or white rice.

They taste really sweet, which makes these perfect for a snack or dessert.

11. Gallo Pinto (Nicaragua) 

Gallo Pinto

This blend of rice and beans is popular in Nicaragua. It translates to "spotted rooster" due to the black beans mixing with the white rice. You can have this meal for breakfast with scrambled eggs.

It also makes a nice appetizer or a tasty lunch.

12. Tres Leches Cake (Guatemala)

Tres Leches Cake

This is a sponge cake that is common as a dessert in Guatemala. It is very sweet because the cake is soaked in evaporated and condensed milk, along with cream.

Not a great choice for a diet, but excellent for parties. You cannot have a celebration without cake, and this one is definitely worth having.