Why Hilton Magic Is The Best Magic

Why Hilton Magic Is The Best Magic

Iowa State basketball is delicacy at our renowned university.

193
Why Hilton Magic Is The Best Magic
Dirk Hansen

With collegiate basketball in full swing, all of the sports fanatics are reminded of the unbelievable talent and caliber that these particular athletes obtain. I don't mean to boast, however, as I'm in my sophomore year of college at Iowa State University, I have been blessed to watch and support these amazing athletes that have worn cardinal and gold. When I say that these basketball players play to the best of their ability, I mean it. They utilize their "basketball IQ" as Coach Prohm would say, to ensure that they are making the best decisions out on the court.

Now imagine combining the basketball talents of the team, a loyal fanbase, and a large arena to hold everyone in; I can guarantee that you'll be in for one amazing experience.

At Iowa State we like to call this environment Hilton Magic and to be honest this is the only type of magic that I believe in.

Hilton Magic is the best magic. Period.

There is no place like Hilton Coliseum on the day of a home basketball game. So many athletic legends have crossed over this wooden stage and continue to do so today. Johnny Orr, Fred Hoiberg, Bill Fennelly, and Steve Prohm are just a few of the outstanding coaches to have created success here at our renowned university. Not to mention they have coached some of the most decorated athletes of our time. Johnny Orr initiated Hilton Magic and took the Cyclones to their first NCAA tournament since World War II. He created an athletic atmosphere unlike any other and gave a new collegiate basketball perspective to those of the university.

Just as Johnny Orr created it, Hilton Magic has been passed on through the years. The students, athletes, and spectators in Hilton all gather around to view one amazing athletic endeavor. I can tell you now that Hilton Magic is something I will never forget after my four years at Iowa State are complete.

Sure I've seen some losses and hard fought games in Hilton, but I will always remember the way our basketball players have positively spun it around. For example, last week the Cyclone men's basketball team suffered a loss from the rated Tennessee Volunteers. Nonetheless, they bounced back with even more toughness and fight then I've ever watched them play with before. They went on to beat No. 11 ranked West Virginia this past Wednesday night in Hilton. And let me tell you, magic was most certainly in the air.

So whether you are a student, faculty member or fan of the Iowa State Cyclones, take a trip to Ames to experience Hilton Magic for yourself. Regardless of the outcome you will see amazing athletes perform to the elite caliber that they acquire.