Hiking Trails That Are Less Than An Hour Drive From Fresno

Access to beautiful, scenic hiking trails that range from easy to strenuous can be obtained within an hour drive from the central California city of Fresno.

2920
Endless Trail

If you are looking for some trails before it gets insanely hot in Fresno, California then look no further! Here are three (semi long) trails you can hike before it gets too hot. This list includes Clovis, San Joaquin, and even Dinkey Creek.

1. San Joaquin River Gorge

Nestled in the foothills of the Sierra Nevada, this moderately strenuous-strenuous level trail is perfect for mountain bikers and hikers alike. The trailhead begins near Millerton Lake, which is about a twenty-minute drive from Fresno, California.

The trail splits into two, but the fork ( named squaw leap)eventually reroutes to the original trail. In spring, the trail is filled with blooming wildflowers, and if you are willing to trek a few miles, you will come across the San Joaquin river gorge bridge (pictured in cover photo).

Fair warning, though, that the trail can be narrow at times as it winds along steep mountain sides, so careful footing is a must. The summer brings sweltering heat to Central California, along with rattlesnakes in the foothills, so be prepared when choosing to hike this trail during the summer.

2. Dinkey Lakes Trail/Wilderness

The Dinkey Lakes Trail is located in the Sierra National Forest and is accessed through Highway 168 and Dinkey Creek Road.

Highway 168 begins in Fresno, CA at its junction with Highway 180, and heads north into the Sierra Nevada; the drive to Dinkey Creek road is about an hour from Fresno.

The trail is about 11.3 miles long and is available for backpack hiking (which requirea a permit) and day hiking. The trail heads into the Dinkey Lakes wilderness and includes a handful of small lakes and lies above an elevation of 8,000 feet.

The trail provides sweeping views of large pine trees and lush green meadows during the summer and is a great trail for moderate hikers.

3. Fresno-Clovis Rail Trail

The Fresno-Clovis Rail Trail connects the Clovis trail, which follows the path of a former railroad line, and the Fresno Sugar Pine trail. The two trails combined form a thirteen-mile paved network that weaves between Fresno and the neighboring town of Clovis.

The Sugar Pine Trailhead begins at the RiverPark shopping center and winds its way a couple of miles north to Shepard Avenue. From there, the trail goes a few miles east until its endpoint at Willow Avenue.

The trail then converts to the Clovis Train and heads south on Willow into the town of Clovis, and ends off of Dakota and Clovis Avenues. The trail, which is completely paved is mostly flat for its duration and a great trek for beginner hikers.

4. Avocado Lake Trail

This trail is a pretty short one, there's nothing fancy about it. However, if you do not want to take the time to do a long trail, this one is gorgeous. The water... well lake is right off the trail and you can even picnic if you want at the tables.

This is a park and a trail - but, it is oh so worth it. They have a little spot with rocks that is scenic and it's a really fun and quick hike to make if you just want to get some steps in. It is about a half hour away, depending on the traffic.

5. Lewis Eaton Trail

This is in Fresno, California at Woodward Park. This is less than an hour drive because for most it's about a half hour away. This is a trail that Woodward is known for it is about an hour front and back - it's a lengthy trail, but goes all the way down Woodward Park.

(And, at the end you get a slight surprise.) You can take this trail right from home if you live nearby, but be extremely careful at night!

It is not anything fancy, there's no high peaks or low peaks, it's flat as is unless you go off trail. But, this one is a good one to check out if you want to exercise and just going on a walk.

6. Edison Point Loop Trail at Pine Flat Lake

This is a moderate trail, but oh so lovely. This trail has a lake attached to it as well and the hike is beautiful when you are looking at beautiful water the entire time.

The flowers also bloom on this trail (depending on the season) so if you go at the right time, this is a place that you will love. What a hike! It is about a half hour away, depending on the traffic.

7. Pincushion Trail, Millerton

Beware this trail has cows! And, if cows make you want to scream like I do - then this trail is not for you. I still did the trail, but it was an experience, to say the least.

There are a ton of animals everywhere so if you don't mind that - check out this long trail. It is about a half hour away, depending on the traffic.