5 Hidden Gems On Netflix You Probably Haven't Watched Yet

You should give a try when you're all out of ideas on what to watch.
45

With hundreds and hundreds of choices to sift through on Netflix and a constant rotation of "out with the old and in with the new," it can become very tricky finding a new show or movie that interests you. Here are five hidden gems on Netflix, shows and movies, that you should give a try when you're all out of ideas on what to watch.

1. Mr. Nobody.

A film starring Jared Leto as the last mortal human on earth. His character, Nemo Nobody, is lying on his death bed trying to recall the memories from his childhood for a reporter writing a piece on him. However none of the stories seem to match up, he's constantly contradicting himself and going in different directions. Mr. Nobody is a truly ambitious movie with a fantastic score and beautiful visuals. An original story with twist and turns at every step, it will surely keep you captivated throughout. I would recommend Mr. Nobody for all to see.

2. Jim & Andy: The Great Beyond.

A documentary on the filming of the 1999 movie, Man on the Moon. Now I've seen both the movie and the documentary, and while the movie is good, the documentary is much more entertaining. We get a glimpse on what it's like to work on set with actor Jim Carrey, and what a wild ride it is. Jim, being a method actor, was in character the entire time, cameras rolling or not. In this movie he is playing the lead role of Andy Kaufman, an eccentric comedian/actor who gained fame in the late 1970s-- the movie's all about his life. Jim also plays Andy's alter-ego, Tony Clifton, an absurd and brazen lounge singer who Andy Kaufman would often dress up as in real life as part of his routine. We get to see Jim Carrey dive head first into both of these roles and throughout the entire documentary all we get is Andy and Tony, no Jim. Wether it's showing up to set with a paper bag on his head, picking fights with his cast members, or driving to the Universal Studio's lot as Tony Clifton to aggressively demand to speak with director Steven Spielberg, this documentary is packed with entertainment from beginning to end.

3. The Increasingly Poor Decisions of Todd Margaret.

Starring actor and comedian David Cross, this TV show is the definition of a hidden gem. Not many people have seen this show, but they should. So basically the show is about Todd being put in charge of selling his company's new energy drink, Thunder Muscle, in Great Britain. Each episode begins with Todd sitting behind a large podium being read off a laundry list of heavy crimes by a judge; crimes that would put anyone away in prison for life. We don't know how Todd could possibly commit such heinous crimes, he seems like a pretty decent guy, but that's what keeps you watching. With alternate realities and dreams within dreams, The Increasingly Poor Decisions of Todd Margaret is chock-full with twists and turns all underlying worthy comedy.

4. Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story.

A mockumentary about a "Johnny Cash-like" musician played by none other than John C. Reilly. We watch as Reilly's character, Dewey Cox, rises to fame throughout the late 60s and early 70s. With songs that are equal parts hilarious and catchy, great acting, great writing, and witty dialogue, this movie should be a definite watch for anyone.

5. The Birthday Boys.

This is my favorite sketch comedy show on Netflix, and quite possibly in general. It's a group of seven young comedians-- at least one looking familiar as you're bound to have seen them playing a small role in a popular comedic show on TV-- and the wild shenanigans they get themselves into. It's relevant, it's ridiculous, it's smack-your-thigh funny. Whether they're making fun of society, pop-culture, or themselves it's always entertaining and always fresh. They like to keep things new and interesting. I'd definitely recommend it to anyone just looking to have a laugh and take a break from all the intense drama and cliffhangers that they are berated by from all their other shows.