To My Long-Distance Best Friend

To My Long-Distance Best Friend

This letter is for you.

266
To My Long-Distance Best Friend
vo.msecnd.net

To My Long-distance Best Friend,

Before college, we were basically inseparable. No one would see us with anyone else in the hallway, and no one could understand the extent of our inside jokes. Some people even called us twins and constantly got our names confused — I bet you can see me mentally eye-rolling at that statement now. When everyone else seemed to make new friends and leave us alone, we were always by each other through bad boyfriends, family problems and annoying teachers. I can't even remember how many late-night text conversations we used to have to ensure we weren't the only crazy ones in the world. Our friendship could make it through anything, and I don't think I knew anyone else that stuck with my annoying nerdiness the way you always did!

However, senior year came by so fast, and our years of goofing around and having fun were quickly over. Grades were super important, and we had to decide what college we wanted to attend quickly before all the spots were filled. While we applied to the same schools, we both had our hearts set on different universities and soon realized we saw our futures differently. But that was OK, because our friendship had survived everything up until this point, and distance wasn't going to break this amazing bond we had with each other.

So, to my best friend who is a million miles away, I hope you know that I always will be here for you. Even if we don't talk for a few weeks, I hope you know that I am always missing you. I may not always answer my messages fast enough, or be around to Skype every day, but I hope you know I am never too busy for you. No matter what problems arise in your life, I hope you know I am there to help you even if I have no idea what your new friends look like or who your new boyfriend is. When you're homesick, please know you can call me and I'll do everything I can to make you believe that your home is only a few miles away. When you need to a reminder that Ohio weather is so bipolar and it just snowed two minutes after is was 70 degrees out, I'll be there to tell you that your choice of leaving was smart and that I wish I had done the same!!

I hope you know that even when we both make other friends and our lives seem to go down separate paths, that my heart will always have a special place for you, and that no one will ever know me better than you. None of the new relationships we make will know about our embarrassing boyfriends in middle schools, or the boys we used to crush on while watching YouTube. Yikes. They also won't ever know about our dumb inside jokes or know how much we have changed since middle school — thank God. There's a special bond that happens when you grow up with someone by your side, and no one can replace that no matter how hard they may try.

I hope you know that I miss you like crazy, and every time something cool, weird, strange or awkward happens, you're the first person I want to tell. I apologize for those messages you must get at 2:00 in the morning when you are sleeping, but I had to tell someone! I hope you know that when I get upset at you, it's because I miss my best friend and have trouble expressing those emotions. It's frustrating to sit in my dorm room and know that I could be there laughing and crying with you, but I can't afford the plane ticket to come and see you — poor college kid problems.

I hope you know though, that no matter how far you or I go, we will always be best friends forever. Even if we only see each other once a year for coffee, we will drink that coffee like no time has passed between us. I'll still hug you like the awkward person I am, and I'll still judge for all of your dumb life choices, just as you do for me. No matter where we go, we will always be there for each other and that is the beauty of our friendship.

You will be a bridesmaid at my wedding — which will be on a beach so you totally have to come — and I wouldn't miss yours for the world. We will be there for each other to celebrate graduating from college, which hopefully will have so much better memories than the stupid ones we had in high school. When we have our own children — or your cats if you don't want kids because I don't judge — I expect we will both be at each other's houses to spoil them rotten. Because we can still maintain a fantastic friendship while you're a million miles away, I fully believe we will be in each other's lives forever.

So, long-distant best friend, whenever you think you are losing me, I hope you come back here to read this article. And when you read it, I hope you know I am never going anywhere even when you blow up my Facebook messenger with your annoying stickers and boy drama — even though I can't talk! I love and miss you so much, and I can't wait until we are within a 10-mile radius from each other again. But until then, I will be here in the dumb state of Ohio, awaiting your messages and Skype calls if you ever need me! I love ya, long-distance best friend.

Love,
Your Long-distance Best Friend