The Fashion World Welcomes "Hello Olivia"

My interview with emerging fashion blogger Olivia Rodriguez.

112
Olivia Rodriguez

Olivia Rodriguez is a 20-year-old fashion blogger from sunny Miami, Florida. She is currently a college student majoring in Broadcasting and Journalism with the hopes of becoming an anchor for E! News and working on the red carpet one day. She loves all things fashion, especially keeping up with the latest trends and celebrity style. Olivia is the founder and creator of the fashion blog, "Hello Olivia." Her passion for broadcast journalism was sparked by her exposure to the TV production industry while a contestant/finalist as a Latin ballroom dancer on NBC's "America's Got Talent." This extremely talented young lady was able to take a break from her blogging duties to sit down with me to talk about her journey of starting Hello Olivia and how far she's come. It was truly a pleasure to interview her and I hope you, dear readers, enjoy reading this as much as I enjoyed writing it.

Olivia has always been passionate about fashion, dance, travel, beauty and blogs. She enjoyed seeing how people pieced together different articles of clothing and one day she decided to start a blog of her own. She started her blog Hello Olivia as a way to express herself and share what inspires her. She enjoys keeping up with the latest fashion trends and celebrity style. However, Olivia personally feels that fashion is not just about wearing the latest trends, it’s more about knowing how to incorporate them into your own personal style, knowing what works for you and feeling confident.

Olivia had recently graduated high school when she decided to start her blog and recalls that it was a difficult process. There were a ton of things people didn't tell her that it takes to create one so it was a big learning experience for her. She remembers that she first started doing research about different places where she could create her webpage Hello Olivia and recommends that others who want to start a blog do the same. Research and learning from your mistakes are all part of the process.

Olivia recalls that it was a rocky start when she first began blogging and when asked what advice she would give others wanting to start a blog or her younger self she said, "just do it". People are going to be discouraging you, they’ll make jabs at you and laugh but at the end of the day you have to do what makes you happy says Olivia. While it isn't always easy to ignore others opinions, she has learned to do so and to just focus on how rewarding doing something you are passionate about can be. In the end the ones that are supportive will always be there and she is so thankful for the support of her dear family and friends for she couldn’t have done it without them. She is especially thankful however for her mother who has been such a great help.

Olivia's passion for fashion doesn't fall far from the tree. Her mother once had dreams to become a fashion designer and break out in the industry. So, it's no surprise that Olivia's biggest supporter and right hand "woman" is her mom. Her mother is her behind the scenes person. The one that takes all the pictures, helps her proof read blog posts, and gives her advice on which outfits look best.

I asked Olivia if, like many celebrities and bloggers she has been offered sponsorships and Olivia says, "yes, it's like a huge business." Sometimes Olivia is offered sponsorships called sponsored posts which is like advertising, but on social media and other times she is offered collaborations. The major difference is that collaborations are more free, the person can write how one truly feels about the product while sponsored posts she says are more restricted. She must make clear to her followers that the post was written by the specific company. In this business, the blogger can reach out to the companies or other times the companies contact them. Olivia says sponsorships are also very difficult because there must be clear communication and depending on the amount of followers and other factors the blogger must decide on fair compensation for her time and work. She has learned how to slowly maneuver this industry all based on trial and error.

One of Olivia's biggest dreams is to be anchor for E News!, so it's no surprise that she was a top finalist for E News! Style Contributor Contest. The process was very competitive, lots of work and very difficult, but it was so worth it. They flew her out to LA on an all expense paid trip and did I mention she was the youngest contestant of the final 8. Olivia realized during this opportunity that the entertainment business waits for no one as the contest asked for videos and different materials that all had immediate due dates. Overall, Olivia says it was the most rewarding experience she has ever had and even though she didn’t win, it has opened a ton of doors for her.

Olivia has also been featured various times on People's Magazine and she thanks social media for this amazing opportunity. The first time she was featured People reached out to her because they came across her page on Instagram and ever since then, they have offered her several opportunities to be featured and even to write for their style blog.

Olivia hasn't been to Fashion Week, but she hopes to attend someday. Olivia has, however, attended Miami's Swim Week as well as several brand launches which she says are great opportunities for networking. The key thing for networking is to always be professional and courteous. Based on experience she feels that the reason the same companies keep approaching her is because she is able to be so honest through her post and so professional which are key elements in a field where many feel entitled.

Some fashion tips Olivia wanted to share is to be true to what best fits your body. Always dress according to the weather and be creative. Have fun with patterns but also find a balance between bold prints and solid colors. "Be inspired by the events and places you are going to, this always guarantees you are dressed accordingly," says Olivia.

So don't be afraid to try something new and go after your dreams. You never know where it may lead. Hoping to see and hear more about this fabulous blogger and her future endeavors. If you're interested in finding out more about Olivia and her passions she is only a short click away. For more information check out her blog Hello Olivia .