How To Have A Healthy Start To A Healthy Spring

Start off back at school the right way after a relaxing, well deserved spring break.

70
https://pixabay.com/photos/spring-awakening-spring-1197602/

You did it--you're halfway through the semester and this much closer to summer. After a nice break from tests and dorms and dining halls, it's time to get back on track and take care of your body for the rest of the semester. This can be tough in college because it seems like work time is endless and free time hard to come by (not to mention all the delicious fried food in your face) but making a few, simple lifestyle changes will relieve stress and make you feel better. It's important to think about yourself and what your body needs even amidst a crazy course schedule. Here are some ideas to start off your spring the healthy way.

Go to the gym at least twice a week. This could mean once during the week, when you don't have much homework and one day on the weekend. That is totally doable; everyone has time to do that. Even if you go and just walk on the treadmill for an hour, it's better than nothing. Between all the late night CampCo orders and Late Night Mac n cheese, you will feel a lot better. It also helps relieve stress if you get yourself moving and not focusing about your exam.

Limit your fried food intake. I love some good chicken fingers every once in a while but too much and It hurts my stomach because that isn't the food my body needs to perform at its best. I am a firm believer that anything is okay in moderation and I think this is a great way to look at your diet. Life is too short not to eat the chicken fingers if that's what you want today, but try not to eat it all the time. Instead try grilled chicken because it is almost the same.

Don't watch the next show; go to sleep. I am so guilty of doing this and then realizing it's 1:30 and I have to wake up in 6 hours for class and I wasn't even studying. It's hard not to when you feel like right before sleep is the only relaxation time you get but your brain and body will thank you the next day. Sleep should not be a luxury in college and you should really aim for at least 7 hours of sleep most nights.

Try to skip the sodas. I love a good Diet Coke when I need some caffeine or it just would go super well with my dinner but sodas and other sugary drinks are the easiest thing to ditch. More and more studies come out that they are unhealthy for you and they are full of empty calories and usually tons of sugar or chemicals. Try to carry a water bottle with you. Drinking more water and keeping yourself hydrated will make you feel so much better in the long run.

Try to eat one fruit and one vegetable a day. I know this sounds difficult (particularly the veggie part) but really we are all supposed to be having about 5 times that amount every day. Fruits and veggies have so many good benefits for all parts of our bodies and health in general that they are super important to include in your diet. Keep your favorite fruit in your dorm room for a snack so it is accessible and you aren't tempted to go buy a bag of chips when you get hungry instead.

These are just little things you can tweak about your day-to-day habits that will make a huge difference in your health and overall mood. If anything starts to seem like a chore or you're not feeling like yourself then try to find ways to get excited about it. Be sure to still include a donut or big slice of CampCo pizza every once in a while because those are absolutely necessary for a healthy mind too.