13 Things Every Healthy Relationship Needs To Guide Them Through Love's Highs And Lows

Relationships are something to be excited about, especially when you have found the right person to be with. Read below to find out what composes a healthy relationship.

184
Taylor Fabian

Ah, relationships.... they are composed of good days (highs) and not so great days (lows), which vary on the day, time, and circumstances. I think finding the right person and realizing what you deserve is something you need to take control of in your life and in your relationships. The list I made below is what I find to be the most important and essential things for maintaining a healthy relationship. Everyone is different and unique, though, so finding what you want out of a relationship is a serious step to help you see if someone is right and even healthy for you.

1. Support

Photo by Priscilla Du Preez on Unsplash

Having a supportive partner is a must for me. I think that it is one of the most important things you can have in a relationship. Having a supportive partner means they want you to follow your dreams, do what is best for you, push you, and allow you to grow and accomplish so much. You do not want someone telling you that you cannot do something when you dang well know you can.

2. Trust & Honesty

Photo by Ryan Franco on Unsplash

Being able to trust and be honest with someone, even when telling the truth may not be in my best interest, is another must-have characteristic for me in a relationship. This is because you do not want someone who lies to you and does not treat you as an equal. Telling the truth and being honest is always the best policy, not just with intimate relationships, but also friendships, and even with yourself.

3. Dependability

Photo by Scott Broome on Unsplash

Along with being supportive, I think that being dependable is also one of the best and must-have characteristics to look for in a relationship. You need to be able to count on your partner and know that they will be there for you at the end of the day, no matter what.

4. Openness

Photo by Priscilla Du Preez on Unsplash

Hiding something from your partner is always a bad idea. You want to share your life with this person, which means you need to be vulnerable and open even if that idea makes you scared.

5. Loyalty

Photo by Jared Sluyter on Unsplash

I feel like this one is pretty self-explanatory. Who wants to be stressed and insecure over a partner who does not see your worth and cheats on you? That sounds pretty unhealthy to me and is a total no. So just remember to find someone who is loyal in a relationship. It is more important than you might think.

6. Kindness & Genuineness

Photo by Priscilla Du Preez on Unsplash

Having someone who can turn your frown or bad day upside down and make you happy just by being themselves is a must-have in a relationship. Someone who is genuine and kind can make your entire life better, and even make you more positive about yourself and life in general.

7. Humor

Photo by Priscilla Du Preez on Unsplash

We all need to laugh at times and make serious situations a little more bearable. Why not have your partner be the one to do that with you? You need someone to make you happy, laugh, and smile when the world seems a little unbearable and grey.

8. Adventurous

Photo by Tabea Damm on Unsplash

In order to have a healthy relationship, I personally think you and your partner need to go out and explore the world and do spontaneous things with one another. So that all the adventures you go on, you can someday look back on and talk about all the memories you had together.

9. Forgiveness

Photo by Savs on Unsplash

Everyone makes mistakes and because of this, I think it is crucial that forgiveness is learned and used a lot in a relationship when the going gets tough. I think the only way to have a strong and healthy relationship is to practice forgiveness regularly. Grudges are not fun for anyone.

10. Team-player & Communication

Photo by Perry Grone on Unsplash

Relationships are 50/50. Relationships take two people who love and care for each other more than anything else in the world. In order to have a healthy relationship, I think it is mandatory that one works together with their partner, and also communicates effectively while compromising. Be direct and state your mind, but remember that relationships consist of two people.

11. Happiness

Photo by Pablo Merchán Montes on Unsplash

Being with someone means you need to be happy with that person. If you are not happy in your relationship, I think it is a red flag indicating something about the relationship is unhealthy. Happiness is a key player in defining a healthy and successful relationship, so keep smiling and enjoy the crazy adventure called life with someone who makes you happy and loves you wholeheartedly.

12. Respect

Photo by Andrik Langfield on Unsplash

A healthy relationship has a foundation full of respect and trust. Without these two things, a relationship would not even exist. Each person has their own values and ideas that make them who they are. This influences their choices and a partner needs to respect and acknowledge that.

13. Love

Photo by Sharon McCutcheon on Unsplash

Yes, I know, basic... but without love, a serious and intimate relationship would have never formed. Love trumps all things and gives individuals the strength to go on.

Follow Swoon on Instagram.