Can Healthy Eating Cause Acne?

Can Healthy Eating Cause Acne?

So basically, my body is shocked that I've started eating healthy.

41471
Style Craze

Have you ever seen the "Drake and Josh" episode where Josh dares Drake to stop eating junk food? Good. Keep this in mind.

With the new year, I've been trying to eat healthier, work out more, commit to other cliche New Year's Resolutions, etc. And so far, me and my roommates have done really well: going for runs, keeping an abundance of sweets out of the apartment and finding fun ways to work out. But I've run into a very specific problem.

Random acne.

Fourteen-year-old me battled relentlessly to have clear skin, but I haven't had nearly as much trouble as I've gotten older.

And now, as I've stopped eating bad foods, my skin has somehow gotten worse. This happened to me last year, when I made the same resolutions and stopped eating so much chocolate. So, in retaliation, I gave up and started eating chocolate again (though that probably had more to do with my love for Reese's peanut butter cups).

And as this is happening again, I couldn't help but be reminded of that "Drake and Josh" episode. Because when Drake stopped eating junk food, he got really bad acne. Turns out this might be an accurate thing.

At first this didn't make any sense to me. As with all things, one turns to the internet. The top result about this issue is from The Huffington Post, which states that "there is little evidence that chocolate or any specific fatty foods will cause acne, but we do know that a high-sugar/high-fat diet can increase sebum production and promote inflammatory responses in the body -- which can lead to acne."

Therefore, eating less of these foods should, theoretically, give me clearer skin than before.

Unfortunately, after reading Tracy Raftl's article on The Love Vitamin, it may be that this breaking out is technically a "detox breakout," because the body is releasing toxins, resulting in acne.

So, basically, my body is shocked that I've started eating healthy. And it's taking it out on my skin.

Fantastic.

Fortunately, Raftl says in her article that this reaction should only last for a few weeks. So here's to optimism and hopefully continued healthy eating.