When In Doubt, Sweat It Out

Some people live, eat, and breathe everything fitness. Their 5 a.m. alarm is set for that early morning workout class. Their fridge is stocked full of protein shakes and any other green superfood imaginable. But that's not everyone.

Not everyone gets a high off of the sound of weights clanking together and sweat stains running through their shirt. The smell of body odor on the floor mats is appalling to most. What is great about the gym, and what all of these bodybuilder and fitness gurus find so addicting about the world of fitness, is the effects of the exercise itself.

Exercise is one of the most beneficial things you can provide your body with. Not only does it work you in a physical way, but it also strengthens you mentally and stretches you emotionally. There are literally no downsides. People work out for all different reasons: to look better, feel better, accomplish a goal, de-stress, and so many other things. Exercise, as proven by doctors, actually increases energy levels by improving your cardiovascular system. It improves memory and brain capacity, can help with sleep quality, reduces the risk of chronic disease, as well as helps to make you feel happier and healthier overall.

So why not? Especially in today's world, with all of the different forms and levels of exercise that you can find out there. Make a game plan, or be spontaneous, and get after it. Find out what you're good at, and even more important, what you like! The less that exercising is treated as a chore, the more you will begin naturally fitting it into life. Even just going for a walk on a nice day, taking 20 minutes out of your lunch break, or heading out right before dinner instead of scrolling through the "gram" for that unnecessary 20 minutes. I promise, it will not only help clear your mind but you'll feel 10 times better than if you hadn't.

For me, exercise is an escape. It is an outlet where I can let out all of my frustration and stress. For that period of time I get to challenge myself, my mind and my body, and push myself past my limits. Whether it's a hardcore day of intense cardio after a big test, or a more casual day of swimming at the beach to relax, being active is something I need to do. By the end of the day my body can tell if I have had substantial exercise or not. The days that I don't the weight of the world and all that's in my head sticks with me when I try to fall asleep. I have less patience with people, I feel sluggish, and I never quite finish the rest of my daily tasks. Being active through exercise gives me motivation to live the rest of my life actively, in terms of taking initiative and always being optimistic.

No matter what reasons you may have, try it out. Exercise has the ability to open up a new world. You can learn a lot about yourself by challenging it, and this is one of the best ways to do so in a controlled situation. From at-home YouTube videos to scheduled group kickboxing classes, there is an option out there for everyone. Make it what you want and you will get just that out of it. And do it for you, because you deserve it.