7 Headlines You Missed

7 Headlines You Missed

News you missed while being angry at NFL players

12
7 Headlines You Missed
CNN.com

Guess what! Kaepernick exercising his rights as an American isn't the only thing happening in our country! I know that may come as a shock, but let me enlighten you on some REAL topics worth discussion. Something besides an NFL player who actually didn't knock out his fiance in an elevator or punch his pregnant girlfriend.

1. Obama nominates first Muslim federal judge- CNN

Now, we are still waiting for this nominee to receive confirmation. but this act alone is...

According to the White House, Abid Riaz Qureshi is a lawyer at the Latham & Watkins law firm in Washington, and he specializes in health care fraud and securities violations. President Obama nominated him Wednesday to serve on the US District Court for the District of Columbia. This is obviously a big step for Muslim-American activists, but also means a great deal to all citizens striving for acceptance, inclusion, and diversity. Unfortunately, the Senate has been slow to confirm Obama's nominees. They have all but shut down any progress on judicial nominations until after the President's term ends in January. This includes Supreme Court nominee Merrick Garland. *Begin slow clap for Senate mediocrity*.

2. Audit reveals Army's trillion-dollar accounting gaffes- CNN

Smh. Basically, the US Army has a super complicated accounting system that just encourages mistakes. Apparently, making changes to one account requires changes to various other accounts. In that way, the amount of one mistake can balloon to many times the amount of the original error. I guess someone didn't feel like double checking their work so there were lots of little mistakes. A number here, a comma there, and eventually they lost $6.5 trillion. I REPEAT: 6.5 trillion dollars worth of accounting errors in the main account used to fund our national Army! That is equivalent to about 1/3 of our national debt. I would like to believe there is a better way. Let's find and then use some of the $6.5 trillion to create a better system, maybe? I mean, I only took a handful of accounting classes, but even I know if the columns don't match, you find the freaking problem. Go home accountants, you're drunk.

3. 500 Homicides. 9 Months. 1 American City.- CNN

This particular article is a "visual guide" by Amanda Wills and Sergio Hernandez and it sheds some light on the blatant disregard for human life, specifically in Chicago. In 2016 alone, there have been 500 deaths in Chicago. 500 people who used to be here, but now they are gone. I genuinely cannot do this justice with my cynicism and wit. I implore you to click the link and immerse yourself in the tragedy and pain of the Chicago residents. Bonus fact: the bit about institutional racism is part of the reason Kaepernick remained seated during the anthem. It isn't the only issue, but it plays a role.

4. Trump Mexico visit: Luis Videgaray quits as finance minister- BBC

This article is brief as it is a follow up to an on-going story. Also because the British are rather vague to begin with. Essentially what happened was Trump bullied the Mexican government officials and the Secretary of Finances, Luis Videgaray, had to step down because he planned the meeting. Can you give time-outs to grown, appointed officials? Adios Mr. Videgaray. Kudos on that super successful re-election campaign a few years back. Too bad it didn't help you today. Maybe next time you don't invite the most arrogant, anti-Mexican politician this generation has seen. Just some comida for thought.

5. Jacob Wetterling: US man admits decades-old child killing- BBC

Danny Heinrich is the lowest form of humanity that I can imagine. I was never afraid of the boogie man or the candy man as a child. Growing up, my greatest fear was monsters like Heinrich. He kidnapped, molested and murdered 11-year-old Jacob Wetterling. Now, 27 years later, he admits to these heinous acts. Heinrich is the reason sex-offender registries exist. Literally! The laws passed in 1994 that formed these registries were a direct reaction to the Jacob Wetterling case. My thoughts and heart go out to the family of Jacob during this difficult time. Prison is too good for Heinrich but I'm sure there is a special place in hell for him.

6. Bill Cosby sex assault trial date set- BBC

I bet you all forgot about this mess. So did I. The trial for William Henry Cosby, Jr. is currently set for July 5th of next year, just days before his 80th birthday. To refresh your memory, he will stand trial for allegedly drugging and molesting former Temple University employee Andrea Constand. Since this news broke, nearly 50 women have accused Mr. Cosby of sexual assault, and prosecutors want 13 of them to testify. I don't think they allow crazy sweaters in prison, Bill. You were funny, rape is not.

7.Judge Denies Motion to Halt Work on Dakota Access Pipeline- CNN

If you want to share your opinions on a protest, turn your eyes towards North Dakota where the sacred land and burial sites of the Standing Rock Sioux Tribe have been desecrated and bulldozed. Construction of the Dakota Access Pipeline slated to run cross the Missouri River has sparked outrage in this community. Aside from the fact that the graves of their ancestors are being demolished, there is also growing concern about the harm it will do to the tribe's drinking water. Destruction of land and poisoning the waterhole...did we go back to the 1600's while I wasn't looking? Security officers and muscle dogs from the private company confronted the protesters. 30 people suffered bite wounds, including a child. The protesters reacted with physical violence as well by hitting the security officers with fence posts. Dakota Access has made their argument that the pipeline will transport 470,000 barrels of oil every day, while also creating thousands of construction jobs and generating millions in tax revenue. But can they paint will all the colors of the wind? On Friday, Sept. 9, U.S. District Judge James E. Boasberg denied the tribe's request for a temporary restraining order to halt construction on the pipeline because the Standing Rock Sioux Tribe failed to show "it will suffer injury that would be prevented by any injunction the Court could issue."

So there ya have it. I only hope that you can now use your time and facebook rants for a better purpose. Arguments only foster anger. Discussions can foster change.

I've seen you all posting about Kapernick but is he really the worst person in the media right now?

#RapistBrockTurner sucks way more. Check out his actual sex-offender profile here.

Cheers!

I would like to thank CNN, ABC, and BBC for keeping me informed and this shitty world for keeping me depressed. I do take some solace in knowing that Colin Kaepernick has the #1 selling jersey right now.